Dr Botelho, Michael GeorgeBDS, MSc (Lond), PhD (Wits), MRDRCSEd, FRACDS
Areas of Research Expertise
- Dental education - e-learning, clinical simulation, psychomotor skills, PBL, video learning
- Oral microbiology - oral microbiome and resistome
- Womens oral health
- Adhesive bonding - dental zirconia
Selected Latest Publications
- Botelho MG, CHAN AWK, Newsome PRH, McGrath CPJ & Lam YHW. A randomized controlled trial of home bleaching of tetracycline-stained teeth. Journal of Dentistry 2017;. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2017.05.003
- EBRAHIMI M & Botelho MG. Biphasic calcium phosphates (BCP) of hydroxyapatite (HA) and tricalcium phosphate (TCP) as bone substitutes: Importance of physicochemical characterizations in biomaterials studies. Data in Brief 2017;10:93-97. doi:10.1016/j.dib.2016.11.080
- Botelho MG, Dyson JE, Mui THF & Lam YH. Clinical audit of posterior three-unit fixed-movable resin-bonded fixed partial dentures – A retrospective, preliminary clinical investigation. Journal of Dentistry 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2016.12.003
- EBRAHIMI M, Botelho MG & Dorozhkin SV. Biphasic calcium phosphates bioceramics (HA/TCP): Concept, physicochemical properties and the impact of standardization of study protocols in biomaterials research. Materials Science and Engineering: C 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.msec.2016.11.039
- Wang AS, Botelho MG, Tsoi KH & Matinlinna JP. Effects of silver diammine fluoride on microtensile bond strength of GIC to dentine. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 2016;70:196-203. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2016.06.011
- Leung TM, Botelho MG, Yang Y & Ho EHT. Management of Tooth Wear: An Interdisciplinary Approach. International Journal of Experimental Dental Science 2016;5:139-145. doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10029-1142
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY & Botelho MG. Design Considerations for an Integrated, Problem-Based Curriculum. Medical Science Educator 2016;. doi:10.1007/s40670-016-0255-6
- Botelho MG. The communal consultation: video-recorded student consultations. Medical Education 2016;50:573-574. doi:10.1111/medu.13047
- Xiong L, Teng LL, Botelho MG, Lo CLR, Lau SKP & Woo PCY. Arginine Metabolism in Bacterial Pathogenesis and Cancer Therapy. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2016;17:363. doi:10.3390/ijms17030363
- Botelho MG, Chan AWK, Leung NCH & Lam YH. Long-term evaluation of cantilevered versus fixed–fixed resin-bonded fixed partial dentures for missing maxillary incisors. Journal of Dentistry 2016;45:59-66. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2015.12.006
Books and Chapters
- Bridges SM, Wyatt-Smith CM & Botelho MG. Clinical Assessment Judgements and ‘Connoisseurship’: Surfacing Curriculum-Wide Standards Through Transdisciplinary Dialogue. In .2017,pp.81-98.
- Bridges SM, Jin J & Botelho MG. Technology and group processes in PBL tutorials: An ethnographic study. In Educational technologies in contextual learning: Research in health professions education.2016,.
- Bridges SM, Green JL, Botelho MG & Tsang PCS. Blended learning and PBL: An interactional ethnographic approach to understanding knowledge construction in-situ. In Essential Readings in Problem-Based Learning: Exploring and Extending the Legacy of Howard S. Barrows..2015,pp.107-130.
- Botelho MG. Chapter 6, Prosthodontics. In OSCE for Clinical Dental Sciences.2014,pp.89-100.
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Tsang PCS, McGrath CPJ, Lo ECM & Samaranayake LP. e-Learning for problem-based learning at the Faculty of Dentistry. In The New era of e-Learning: Mobile Learnig and Interactive Class for the New Curriculum.2012,pp.148-157.
- Bridges SM, Botelho MG & Chau CM. Multimodality in PBL: A interactional ethnography. In Problem-based learning in clinical education: The next generation.2012,.
Principal Investigator :
- 2015-2015: A proof of concept for all-ceramic Zirconia resin bonded bridges for short span missing teeth [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000)
- 2015-2016: Enhancing Skills Learning – Creation of a Student-centered, Peer-to-peer Approach to the Learning, Evaluation and Performance of Skills [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD316,046)
- 2015-2017: Development of encapsulated stem cells formed into a 3D complex transplantable device using microfluidic technology [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD82,600)
- 2015-2018: Novel use of 2-unit cantilever resin-bonded bridges for replacing missing molar teeth – a randomized clinical trial [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD689,351)
- 2015-2016: Incubating Group-based Collaborative Research Project – Understanding & enhancing psychomotor performance outcomes – the effects of skills training for discrimination & judgment of quality-an in-depth qualitative & quantitative analysis [Seed Funding for Incubating Group-based Collaborative Research Projects] (HKD100,000)
- 2014-2016: Supporting BDS I student learning, a multilevel approach – defining the scope of PBL learning, peer created assessment for and of learning and support workshops [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD228,217)
- 2014-: Qualitative and quantitive ultrastructural analysis of silver compounds used on tooth tissue [Small Project Funding] (HKD72,719)
- 2013-2016: Teaching Development Grant Award – An experiential learning e-portfolio for dental undergraduates [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD361,811)
- 2013-: Morphological and Quantitative Analysis of Silver Compounds on Demineralised Dentine in Saliva Substitutes [Small Project Funding] (HKD69,259)
- 2011-2013: TDG Awards for the 4-Year Undergraduate Curriculum Reform: An Assessment, Reflection and Learning Diary for Experiential Clinical Learning – Evaluation and Moderation [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD272,973)
- 2015-2015: Turning risk into opportunity: biology of biofilm formation on dental restorative materials – maximizing the anti-plaque potential of fillings [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000) (with LEUNG W Keung et al)
- 2011-: Contemporary Clinical Dental Photography [Run Run Shaw Research and Teaching Endowment Fund - Teaching Grants] (HKD55,000) (with MORSE, Zac et al)
- 2009-2010: Blended learning and interactive pedagogies: Supporting problem-based learning in dental education [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD518,675) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-: Assessing competency of dental graduates from problem-based learning and traditional curriculums: Graduates’ and Employers’ Perceptions [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD156,897) (with YIU Cynthia K Y et al)
- 2008-2010: Professional interaction in dentistry: Enhancing the behavioural and social science aspects of problem-based and clinical learning across the undergraduate dental curriculum. [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD448,808) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-2009: Investigating online learning in dentistry - an interactional approach [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD119,999) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
Honours and Awards
- Bronze Award (Asia Region) QS Wharton Reimagine Education Awards. 2016. Bridges SM, Botelho MG, Chan LK, Chan CKK, Wong AMY, Green J & Hmelos-Silver C.
- Proteomic evaluating salivary acquired pellicle on restorative material surfaces 2016 IADR Heraeus Kulzer Travel Award and 1st runner's up IADR-SEA Unilever Hatton Division Award, 30th Annual Scientific Meeting (2016) of the International Association for Dental Research. 2016. WEI C, Burrow MF, Botelho MG & Leung WK.
- Teaching Innovation Award 2016 The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Botelho MG.
- UGC Teaching Award 2015 - Teaching and Learning Initiative University Grants Committee. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Excellence in Dental Education Award - Mature Educator Association for Dental Education in Europe. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Oral Presentation, Best paper in Prosthodontics IADR SEA 29th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2015. Botelho MG, Chan AWK, Lam YH & Leung NCH.
- University Outstanding Teacher Award 2014-15 The University of Hong Kong. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Best Oral Presentation, SEAADE 25th Annual Scientific Meeting 25th Annual Scientific Meeting, SE Asia Association for Dental Education (SEAADE). 2014. Botelho MG & Bridges SM.
- Faculty Outstanding Teacher Award Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Hong Kong. 2014. Botelho MG.
- Evaluation of a Clinical Session Diary - Student and Staff Feedback - Best Oral Presentation The 24th South East Asian Association of Dental Education, Bangkok, Thailand. 2013. Botelho MG, Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Zwahlen RA, Ho KL & Chang JWW.