Dr Botelho, Michael GeorgeBDS, MSc (Lond), PhD (Wits), MRDRCSEd, FRACDS
Areas of Research Expertise
- Dental education - e-learning, clinical simulation, psychomotor skills, PBL, video learning
- Oral microbiology - oral microbiome and resistome
- Womens oral health
- Adhesive bonding - dental zirconia
Selected Latest Publications
- EBRAHIMI M & Botelho MG. Biphasic calcium phosphates (BCP) of hydroxyapatite (HA) and tricalcium phosphate (TCP) as bone substitutes: Importance of physicochemical characterizations in biomaterials studies. Data in Brief 2017;10:93-97. doi:10.1016/j.dib.2016.11.080
- Botelho MG, Dyson JE, Mui THF & Lam YH. Clinical audit of posterior three-unit fixed-movable resin-bonded fixed partial dentures – A retrospective, preliminary clinical investigation. Journal of Dentistry 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2016.12.003
- EBRAHIMI M, Botelho MG & Dorozhkin SV. Biphasic calcium phosphates bioceramics (HA/TCP): Concept, physicochemical properties and the impact of standardization of study protocols in biomaterials research. Materials Science and Engineering: C 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.msec.2016.11.039
- Leung TM, Botelho MG, Yang Y & Ho EHT. Management of Tooth Wear: An Interdisciplinary Approach. International Journal of Experimental Dental Science 2016;5:139-145. doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10029-1142
- Wang AS, Botelho MG, Tsoi KH & Matinlinna JP. Effects of silver diammine fluoride on microtensile bond strength of GIC to dentine. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 2016;70:196-203. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2016.06.011
- Botelho MG. The communal consultation: video-recorded student consultations. Medical Education 2016;50:573-574. doi:10.1111/medu.13047
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY & Botelho MG. Design Considerations for an Integrated, Problem-Based Curriculum. Medical Science Educator 2016;. doi:10.1007/s40670-016-0255-6
- Xiong L, Teng LL, Botelho MG, Lo CLR, Lau SKP & Woo PCY. Arginine Metabolism in Bacterial Pathogenesis and Cancer Therapy. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2016;17:363. doi:10.3390/ijms17030363
- Botelho MG, Chan AWK, Leung NCH & Lam YH. Long-term evaluation of cantilevered versus fixed–fixed resin-bonded fixed partial dentures for missing maxillary incisors. Journal of Dentistry 2016;45:59-66. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2015.12.006
- Botelho MG & Lam YH. A fixed movable resin-bonded fixed dental prosthesis – A 16 years clinical report. Journal of Prosthodontic Research 2016;60:63-67. doi:10.1016/j.jpor.2015.10.003
Books and Chapters
- Bridges SM, Wyatt-Smith CM & Botelho MG. Clinical Assessment Judgements and ‘Connoisseurship’: Surfacing Curriculum-Wide Standards Through Transdisciplinary Dialogue. In .2017,pp.81-98.
- Bridges SM, Jin J & Botelho MG. Technology and group processes in PBL tutorials: An ethnographic study. In Educational technologies in contextual learning: Research in health professions education.2016,.
- Bridges SM, Green JL, Botelho MG & Tsang PCS. Blended learning and PBL: An interactional ethnographic approach to understanding knowledge construction in-situ. In Essential Readings in Problem-Based Learning: Exploring and Extending the Legacy of Howard S. Barrows..2015,pp.107-130.
- Botelho MG. Chapter 6, Prosthodontics. In OSCE for Clinical Dental Sciences.2014,pp.89-100.
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Tsang PCS, McGrath CPJ, Lo ECM & Samaranayake LP. e-Learning for problem-based learning at the Faculty of Dentistry. In The New era of e-Learning: Mobile Learnig and Interactive Class for the New Curriculum.2012,pp.148-157.
- Bridges SM, Botelho MG & Chau CM. Multimodality in PBL: A interactional ethnography. In Problem-based learning in clinical education: The next generation.2012,.
Principal Investigator :
- 2015-2015: A proof of concept for all-ceramic Zirconia resin bonded bridges for short span missing teeth [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000)
- 2015-2016: Enhancing Skills Learning – Creation of a Student-centered, Peer-to-peer Approach to the Learning, Evaluation and Performance of Skills [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD316,046)
- 2015-2017: Development of encapsulated stem cells formed into a 3D complex transplantable device using microfluidic technology [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD82,600)
- 2015-2018: Novel use of 2-unit cantilever resin-bonded bridges for replacing missing molar teeth – a randomized clinical trial [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD689,351)
- 2015-2016: Incubating Group-based Collaborative Research Project – Understanding & enhancing psychomotor performance outcomes – the effects of skills training for discrimination & judgment of quality-an in-depth qualitative & quantitative analysis [Seed Funding for Incubating Group-based Collaborative Research Projects] (HKD100,000)
- 2014-2016: Supporting BDS I student learning, a multilevel approach – defining the scope of PBL learning, peer created assessment for and of learning and support workshops [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD228,217)
- 2014-: Qualitative and quantitive ultrastructural analysis of silver compounds used on tooth tissue [Small Project Funding] (HKD72,719)
- 2013-2016: Teaching Development Grant Award – An experiential learning e-portfolio for dental undergraduates [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD361,811)
- 2013-: Morphological and Quantitative Analysis of Silver Compounds on Demineralised Dentine in Saliva Substitutes [Small Project Funding] (HKD69,259)
- 2011-2013: TDG Awards for the 4-Year Undergraduate Curriculum Reform: An Assessment, Reflection and Learning Diary for Experiential Clinical Learning – Evaluation and Moderation [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD272,973)
- 2015-2015: Turning risk into opportunity: biology of biofilm formation on dental restorative materials – maximizing the anti-plaque potential of fillings [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000) (with LEUNG W Keung et al)
- 2011-: Contemporary Clinical Dental Photography [Run Run Shaw Research and Teaching Endowment Fund - Teaching Grants] (HKD55,000) (with MORSE, Zac et al)
- 2009-2010: Blended learning and interactive pedagogies: Supporting problem-based learning in dental education [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD518,675) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-: Assessing competency of dental graduates from problem-based learning and traditional curriculums: Graduates’ and Employers’ Perceptions [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD156,897) (with YIU Cynthia K Y et al)
- 2008-2010: Professional interaction in dentistry: Enhancing the behavioural and social science aspects of problem-based and clinical learning across the undergraduate dental curriculum. [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD448,808) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-2009: Investigating online learning in dentistry - an interactional approach [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD119,999) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
Honours and Awards
- Proteomic evaluating salivary acquired pellicle on restorative material surfaces 2016 IADR Heraeus Kulzer Travel Award and 1st runner's up IADR-SEA Unilever Hatton Division Award, 30th Annual Scientific Meeting (2016) of the International Association for Dental Research. 2016. WEI C, Burrow MF, Botelho MG & Leung WK.
- Teaching Innovation Award 2016 The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Botelho MG.
- UGC Teaching Award 2015 - Teaching and Learning Initiative University Grants Committee. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Excellence in Dental Education Award - Mature Educator Association for Dental Education in Europe. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Oral Presentation, Best paper in Prosthodontics IADR SEA 29th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2015. Botelho MG, Chan AWK, Lam YH & Leung NCH.
- University Outstanding Teacher Award 2014-15 The University of Hong Kong. 2015. Botelho MG.
- Best Oral Presentation, SEAADE 25th Annual Scientific Meeting 25th Annual Scientific Meeting, SE Asia Association for Dental Education (SEAADE). 2014. Botelho MG & Bridges SM.
- Faculty Outstanding Teacher Award Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Hong Kong. 2014. Botelho MG.
- Evaluation of a Clinical Session Diary - Student and Staff Feedback - Best Oral Presentation The 24th South East Asian Association of Dental Education, Bangkok, Thailand. 2013. Botelho MG, Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Zwahlen RA, Ho KL & Chang JWW.
- Outstanding Teaching Award (OTA) Team "PBL 2.0: E-learning for Problem-based Learning (PBL) at the Faculty of Dentistry" The University of Hong Kong Teaching Excellence Award Scheme(2012). 2013. Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Lo ECM, Tsang PCS, Watt RM, Yang Y & Wong JW.