Professor Chu, Chun HungBDS, MDS, PhD, PDipDS(HK), FRACDS, FRACDS(DPH), FDSRCSEd, MAGD, ABGD
Areas of Research Expertise
- Caries prevention and management
- Clinical uses of fluorides
- Community dental care
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group and Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- ZHAO S, Mei L, Li Q, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Arresting simulated dentine caries with adjunctive application of silver nitrate solution and sodium fluoride varnish: an in vitro study. International Dental Journal 2017;67:206-214. doi:10.1111/idj.12291
- YU Y, ZHAO S, Mei L, Lo ECM & Chu CH. A Review of the Common Models Used in Mechanistic Studies on Demineralization-Remineralization for Cariology Research. Dentistry Journal 2017;5:20. doi:10.3390/dj5020020
- Zhang SN, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Occlusal Features and Caries Experience of Hong Kong Chinese Preschool Children: A Cross-Sectional Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2017;14:621. doi:10.3390/ijerph14060621
- YU Y, ZHAO S, Mei L, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Dental Biofilm and Laboratory Microbial Culture Models for Cariology Research. Dentistry Journal 2017;5:21. doi:10.3390/dj5020021
- Zhao IS, Gao SS, Hiraishi N, Burrow MF, Duangthip D, Mei L, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Mechanisms of silver diamine fluoride on arresting caries: a literature review. International Dental Journal 2017;. doi:10.1111/idj.12320
- Zhao D, Tsoi KH, Wong HM, Chu CH & Matinlinna JP. Paediatric Over-the-Counter (OTC) Oral Liquids Can Soften and Erode Enamel. Dentistry Journal 2017;5:17. doi:10.3390/dj5020017
- Duangthip D, GAO S, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Early childhood caries among 5- to 6-year-old children in Southeast Asia. International Dental Journal 2017;67:98-106. doi:10.1111/idj.12261
- ZHAO S, Mei L, Burrow M, Lo ECM & Chu CH. Effect of Silver Diamine Fluoride and Potassium Iodide Treatment on Secondary Caries Prevention and Tooth Discolouration in Cervical Glass Ionomer Cement Restoration. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2017;18:340. doi:10.3390/ijms18020340
- LI R, Lo ECM, Liu BY, Wong MCM & Chu CH. Randomized Clinical Trial on Preventing Root Caries among Community-Dwelling Elders. JDR Clinical & Translational Research 2017;2:66-72. doi:10.1177/2380084416668491
- Chen J, Mei L, Li QUANLI & Chu CH. Mussel-inspired silver-nanoparticle coating on porous titanium surfaces to promote mineralization. RSC Adv. 2016;6:104025-104035. doi:10.1039/C6RA20673E
Books and Chapters
- Chu CH. Hypersensitivity. In Periodontal disease, dental caries and hypersensitivity: a millennial view.2013,pp.38-49.
- Chu CH, Au MKL, Cheung CCM, Chu JKS, Hui NWT, Lee CPS, Lo CCY, Tse CKW, Wong CWC & Yu JVC. Promotion of collaboration between medical and dental professionals. In Community Health Project Report Series.1762012,pp.1-59.
- Chu CH, Cheung CY, Cheung CSL, Kwok MN, Kung AYH, Tang KT, Tsang ML, Wong SW & Yuen VWS. Oral health status of paediatric and adolescent oncology patients with chemotherapy in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1732011,pp.1-59.
- Chu CH, Chan YC, Cheung WP, Ho TK, Lau CK, Mak KM, Ng A, Tam AHS & Woo TCH. Oral health status of Chinese elderly people with dementia in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1662010,pp.1-52.
- Chu CH, Chan LHW, Chee C, Ho KW, Ho PL, Lam C, Liu HN, Lui WY, Sum CK & Yau SW. A study of dental caries status of pre-school children in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1592009,pp.1-50.
- Chu CH, Cheng HF, Chiu HC, Chiu LPY, Choi TY, Lai IA, Lee YM, Lo VYM, Wu WS & Yeung MK. Oral health status and oral features of Chinese people with Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma) in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1542008,pp.1-53.
- Chu CH, Ho LI, Ip YS, Li TF, Ng SSW, Tsang AYC, Yeung ASH, Yip WC & Zhang C. Oral health status of young people with cerebral palsy in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1482007,pp.1-57.
- Chu CH, Chan AYY, Cheung JT, Choy HB, Ku CC, Lam CSN, Lee KK, Ng KTY, Wan HL & Wong YK. Occlusion, orthodontic treatment need and demand of young Chinese adults. In Community Health Project Report Series.1432006,pp.1-52.
- Chu CH, Nair GR, Chan YHE, Chan MC, Ching YM, Ho WK, Lai OY, Lee CC, Sit KF, Tung J & Wong EK. Oral health assessment and education amongst children undergoing cancer therapy. In Community Health Project Report Series.1282004,pp.1-43.
- Chu CH, Chan CYG, Chan HYC, Ho WHS, Lee YT, Liu WK, Tai KY, Yau KP & Yeung LYM. Outreach dental service in a kindergarten in Conghua China. In Community Health Project Report Series.1282003,pp.1-39.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: An ex vivo study of oral metagenome in carious lesion before and after silver diamine fluoride treatment [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD47,900)
- 2014-: Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride in arresting dental caries in preschool children: a randomized clinical trial with different periodicity and concentration [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD649,524)
- 2012-2016: Bright Smiles, Bright Futures Oral health Promotioon Program ["Bright Smiles Bright Future" Dental Health Education Grant ] (HKD220,000)
- 2012-: Effects of silver diamine fluoride and carbon dioxide laser on root caries with cariogenic biofilm challenge in artificial mouthnd [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD72,300)
- 2012-: Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride in arresting dental caries in preschool children: a randomized clinical trial with different periodicity and concentration [Health and Health Services Research Fund - Full Grants] (HKD838,392)
- 2012-: Effects of silver diamine fluoride application on tooth root caries in a multi-plaque artificial mouth system [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD764,500)
- 2011-2013: Enamel microstructure regeneration in macroscale by molecular mimetic method [NSFC/RGC Joint Research Scheme] (HKD743,000)
- 2010-2012: Outreach dental service to control tooth decay in disadvantaged kindergarten children [S.K. Yee Medical Foundation - General Award] (HKD1,248,016)
- 2010-: "Bright Smiles Bright Future" Dental Health Education to kindergarten children in Hong Kong ["Bright Smiles Bright Future" Dental Health Education Grant ] (HKD220,000)
- 2010-2013: Clinical evaluation of single versus multiple visit endodontic therapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD60,000)
Co-principal investigator :
- 2013-: Public Health [Seed Funding for Strategic Research Theme] (HKD1,500,000)
- 2014-: Evaluating Biomimetic Qualities of a Modified Glass Ionomer Cement [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD698,282) (with BURROW, M.F. et al)
- 2014-: Prevention of secondary caries by silver diamine fluoride [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,327) (with Mei, Lei et al)
- 2013-: Effect of silver and fluoride ions on artificial caries lesion formation in dentine [Small Project Funding] (HKD58,434) (with LAM, Baoying et al)
- 2012-: Terminating poor oral habits of preschool-aged children [Health Care and Promotion Fund - Research Grant Projects] (HKD300,000) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2012-: Prevascularized periodontal ligament cell sheet with endothelial cells promotes periodontal tissue complex regeneration [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD61,100) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2012-: Randomized clinical trial on preventing and arresting dental root surface caries using silver diamine fluoride solution in community-dwelling older adults [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD890,000) (with LO Edward C M et al)
- 2011-: Contemporary Clinical Dental Photography [Run Run Shaw Research and Teaching Endowment Fund - Teaching Grants] (HKD55,000) (with MORSE, Zac et al)
- 2011-2014: Impact of orofacial complications on oral health-related quality of life for children undergoing cancer therapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD47,576) (with WONG Gloria H M et al)
- 2010-: International peer review: Supporting diverse learning and assessment experiences in clinical dental education [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD118,200) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2010-2013: Effectiveness of training in parental toothbrushing and fluoride varnish in preventing early childhood caries [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD755,760) (with LO Edward C M et al)
Honours and Awards
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange (KE) Award 2016 “Empowering a Non-governmental non-profit organization to deliver primary oral care to Hong Kong Citizens” The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Ho KL, Chu CH, Cheung MTL & Duangthip D.
- IADR Cariology Award Group Winner at the 94th general session of IADR, Seuol, South Korea The International Association of Dental Research. 2016. Chu CH, Fung HTM, Lo ECM, Wong MCM & Duangthip D.
- Research Output Prize University of Hong Kong. 2016. Cao Y, Mei L, Li Q, Lo ECM & Chu CH.
- Merit Award in the Scientific Imaging Competition, Centre for Reproduction, Development and Growth (CRDG), the University of Hong Kong Gold particles stained human dentine collagen. 2015. Mei L & Chu CH.
- Best Oral Presentation Award (staff group) 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Mei L, ZHAO S & Chu CH.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange (KE) Award 2013, Faculty of Dentistry The University of Hong Kong Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award Scheme (2013). 2013. Yang Y, Chu CH, Ma KN, So SYT, Wong YS, Lee PC, Zhong C, Chan JSM, Chan TCL, Li TY, Wong CKK, Chow KCK & Yung KHK.
- FDI Poster Award (overall best poster) FDI World Dental Federation. 2012. Liu B, Lo ECM, Chu CH & Lin CH.
- FDI Poster Award in the theme of Dental Treatment and Restorative Dentistry FDI World Dental Federation. 2012. Cao Y, Li QL, Lo ECM & Chu CH.
- FDI Poster Award in the theme of Preventive Dentistry FDI World Dental Federation. 2012. Liu B, Lo ECM, Chu CH & Lin CH.
- Best research Project(Mineralized Tissue and Cariology) 25th Annual Scientific Meeting, Southeast Asian Division of international Association for Dental Research. 2011. Chu CH.
- Associate Editor (BMC Oral Health) 2014
- Editorial Board Member (Mahidol Dental Journal) 2013
- Editorial Board Member (Journal Dentistry Indonesia) 2013
- Associate Editor (Materials Sciences and Applications) 2013
- Editorial Board Member (Journal of American Dental Association : China (Chinese)) 2012
- Editorial Board Member (Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry) 2012
- Academic Editor (International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health) 2011
- Associate Editor (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2011
- Associate Editor (Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dentistry, Editor) 2010
- Deputy Editor (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2008