Dr Gao, Jennifer XiaoliBDS (Sun Yat-sen Med), MSc, PhD (NUS), FRACDS(DPH)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Epidemiology of oral diseases
- Caries risk assessment/prediction with biopsychosocial markers
- Understanding and reducing oral health disparity
- Acculturation and immigrants'/migrants' oral health
- Oral health behaviour modification
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- JIANG S, WU L & Gao X. Beyond face-to-face individual counseling: A systematic review on alternative modes of motivational interviewing in substance abuse treatment and prevention. Addictive Behaviors 2017;73:216-235. doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.05.023
- WU L, Gao X, Lo ECM, Ho SMY, McGrath CPJ & Wong MCM. Motivational Interviewing to Promote Oral Health in Adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health 2017;61:378-384. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.03.010
- Zhou Y, JIANG S, Li KY, Lo ECM & Gao X. Association between oral health and upper respiratory tract infection among children. International Dental Journal 2017;. doi:10.1111/idj.12335
- WU L, Cheung KY, Lam PYP & Gao X. Oral health indicators for risk of malnutrition in elders. Journal of Nutrition Health & Aging 2017;. doi:10.1007/s12603-017-0887-2
- JIANG S, Gao X, Jin L & Lo ECM. Salivary Microbiome Diversity in Caries-Free and Caries-Affected Children. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2016;17:1978. doi:10.3390/ijms17121978
- Gao X, JIANG S, Koh D & Hsu CY. Salivary biomarkers for dental caries. Periodontology 2000 2016;70:128–141.
- Gao X, Lo ECM, McGrath CPJ & Ho SM. Face-to-face individual counseling and online group motivational interviewing in improving oral health: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2015;16(1):416. doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0946-0
- Gao X, Jiang S, Koh D & Hsu CYS. Salivary biomarkers for dental caries. Periodontology 2000 2015;. doi:10.1111/prd.12100
- WANG G, Gao X & Lo ECM. Public perceptions of dental implants: a qualitative study. Journal of Dentistry 2015;43:798-805. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2015.04.012
- Li TY, Gao X, Wong K, Tse CSK & Chan YY. Learning clinical procedures through Internet Digital Objects: Experience of undergraduate students across clinical faculties. JMIR Medical Education 2015;1(1):e1. doi:10.2196/mededu.3866
Books and Chapters
- Gao X, Ho CY, Lai PT, Lau HY, Li CNG, Lun KW, Ng YT, Tsui PC, Wong J & Yon JY. Oral Health Care for Institutionalised Elders: Caregivers' Perspectives and Outreach Service. In Community Health Project Report Series.2112017,pp.1-42.
- Gao X, Chu SP, Kwok VHC, Lai WT, Lee HC, Mok CKP, Ngan MC, Wong WL, Yip CK & Yu CF. Parental and familial factors affecting children's dental fear and anxiety. In Community Health Project Report Series.2052016,pp.1-49.
- Gao X, Chan CMC, Cheung KY, Chu D, Hui KF, Kwok MH, Lam PPY, Ma YY, Shih EJ, Tang CL & Wong KF. Oral health of community dwelling elders in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1962015,pp.1-52.
- Gao X, Lai HY, Man WH, Mo CK, Ong HH, Poon AOK, Tam CY, Tse KL, Wan JCC & Yip KJ. Dietary advice from doctors dentists dietitians: Targeting common risk factor and addressing incosistencies. In Community Health Project Report Series.1922014,pp.1-43.
- Gao X, Chan YY, Ching LYL, Chow DYS, Law XJ, Li TY, Tse CSK, Wong K & Wong LM. Learning clinical procedures through Internet visual resources: A qualitative and quantitative study among undergraduate students. In Community Health Project Report Series.1842013,pp.1-41.
- Gao X, Wong MCM, Chan LKL, Fung ACH, Lee APC, Li CMT, Ma CKN, So SYT, Wong JYS & Zhong SC. A Step into the World of Pakistanis - Oral Health Education for Pakistani Adults in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1812012,pp.1-32.
- Gao X, Chan CW, Ho CH, Kot SCC, Kwok RLY, Kwong WH, Mak SL, Ng Z, Sze-To WT & Yu AYT. Understanding and promoting oral health of Indonesian domestic helpers in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series No. 175.1752011,pp.1-60.
- Lo ECM, Gao X, Lui KC, Chan BKL, Chan YH, Cheung SS, Hung YW, Lau KHY, Man WHC & Wu KW. Oral health status of asthmatic preschoolers in Hong Kong. In Community Health Project Report Series.1672010,pp.1-37.
Principal Investigator :
- 2015-2017: Motivational interviewing in changing adolescents' oral health behaviors: Face-to-face individual counseling versus online groups [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD739,125)
- 2013-: Motivational interviewing and interactive risk assessment in changing adolescents' oral health behaviours [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD765,692)
- 2013-2015: Innovative Interventions to Elicit Positive Dental Health Behaviors in Preschool Children: a Randomized Controlled Trial [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD925,752)
- 2012-: Oral Health Promotion for and through Indonesian Domestic Helpers in Hong Kong [Health Care and Promotion Fund - Research Grant Projects] (HKD255,000)
- 2009-2011: Refining a Biopsychosocial Caries Risk Assessment Program with a Chairside Test of Salivary mutans Streptococci [Small Project Funding] (HKD35,000)
- 2009-: Validation of caries risk assessment programs in Hong Kong children [Health and Health Services Research Fund - Full Grants] (HKD331,896)
- 2014-: Family-centered oral health promotion for new parents and their infants: a randomized controlled trial [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD822,731) (with WONG May C M et al)
- 2011-2013: Promotion of oral health through behavioural changes using motivational interview [Small Project Funding] (HKD49,331) (with LO Edward C M et al)
- 2010-2012: Multiplex PCR array for detection and quantification of caries associated bacteria [Seed Funding Programme for Applied Research] (HKD100,000) (with C. Jayampath Seneviratne et al)
Honours and Awards
- Colgate Prize in Community Oral Health Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. 2017. Gao X.
- Faculty Scientific Meeting Best Presentation Award (staff category) Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Gao X.
- Best poster award Salivary Research Group, International Association for Dental Research. 2016. JIANG S, Gao X, Jin L & Lo ECM.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2014 The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, Lo ECM & McGrath CPJ.
- HKU Research Output Prize The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY.
- Oral-B Prize in Community Oral Health The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, Lai HY, Man WH, Mo CK, Ong HH, Poon OKA, Tam CY, Tse KL, Wan CCJ & Yip KJ.
- Oral-B Prize in Community Oral Health University of Hong Kong. 2012. Gao X, Wong MCM, Chan LKL, Fung ACH, Lee APC, Li CMT, Ma CKN, So SYT, Wong JYS & Zhong SC.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2012 University of Hong Kong. 2012. Lo ECM, Seneviratne CJ, Gao X, Jin L, Samaranayake LP & Bridges SM.
- IADR South East Asian Division Best Paper Award in Behavioral Science and Health Service Research International Association for Dental Research. 2011. Gao X, Ho CH, Chan CW, Mak SL, Ng Z, Kot CCS, Sze-To WT, Kwok LYR, Yu YTA & Kwong WH.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2011 University of Hong Kong. 2011. Chu CH, Lo ECM, Gao X, Chau AMH, Wu D, Jiang ME & Fung HTM.