Professor Jin, LijianDDS (Zhejiang Med), MMedSc (Karolinska Inst), PhD (Beijing Med), OdontDr (Karolinska Inst), Hon FDSRCSEd
Areas of Research Expertise
- Molecular mechanisms of periodontal pathogenesis
- Genetic markers and biomarkers for periodontal diseases
- Periodontal medicine
- Traditional Chinese medicine for periodontal treatment
- Clinical trials of periodontal care strategies
- Defensins in periodontal health and disease
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group and Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Ding P-H, Darveau RP, Wang C-Y & Jin L. LPS-binding protein and its interactions with P. gingivalis LPS modulate pro-inflammatory response and Toll-like receptor signaling in human oral keratinocytes. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0173223. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0173223
- AB MALIK NB, ZHANG J, Lam OLT, Jin L & McGrath CPJ. Effectiveness of computer-aided learning in oral health among patients and caregivers: a systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2017;24(1):209-217. doi:10.1093/jamia/ocw045
- JIANG S, Gao X, Jin L & Lo ECM. Salivary Microbiome Diversity in Caries-Free and Caries-Affected Children. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2016;17:1978. doi:10.3390/ijms17121978
- Jin L, Lamster IB, Greenspan JS, Pitts NB, Scully C & Warnakulasuriya S. Global burden of oral diseases: emerging concepts, management and interplay with systemic health. Oral Diseases 2016;22:609-619. doi:10.1111/odi.12428
- HERATH MUDIYANSELAGE TDKH, Darveau RP, Seneviratne CJ, Wang C-Y, Wang Y & Jin L. Heterogeneous Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS modulates immuno-inflammatory response, antioxidant defense and cytoskeletal dynamics in human gingival fibroblasts. Scientific Reports 2016;6:29829. doi:10.1038/srep29829
- PANDUWAWALA KANKANAMALAGE CPPP, Zhan X, Dissanayaka WL, Samaranayake LP, Jin L & Zhang C. In vivo periodontal tissue regeneration by periodontal ligament stem cells and endothelial cells in three-dimensional cell sheet constructs. Journal of Periodontal Research 2016;. doi:10.1111/jre.12405
- REN C, McGrath CPJ, Jin L, Zhang C & Yang Y. Effect of diode low-level lasers on fibroblasts derived from human periodontal tissue: a systematic review of in vitro studies.. Lasers Med Sci 2016;. doi:10.1007/s10103-016-2026-4
- ACHARYA A, Koh ML, Kheur S, Watt RM, Jin L & Mattheos N. Salivary IL-1β and red complex bacteria as predictors of the inflammatory status in sub-peri-implant niches of subjects with peri-implant mucositis. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2016;27:662-667. doi:10.1111/clr.12713
- LI X, Wong CH, Ng TW, Zhang C, Leung KCF & Jin L. The spherical nanoparticle-encapsulated chlorhexidine enhances anti-biofilm efficiency through an effective releasing mode and close microbial interactions. International Journal of Nanomedicine 2016;:2471-2480. doi:10.2147/IJN.S105681
- Leung KCF, Seneviratne CJ, LI X, Leung PC, Lau CBS, Wong CH, Pang KY, Wong CW, Wat E & Jin L. Synergistic Antibacterial Effects of Nanoparticles Encapsulated with Scutellaria baicalensis and Pure Chlorhexidine on Oral Bacterial Biofilms. Nanomaterials 2016;6:61. doi:10.3390/nano6040061
Books and Chapters
- Jin L. Periodontal screening and management: The foundation of general dental practice. In Periodontics: Beyond the pocket.2010,pp.58-65.
- Jin LJ. Periodontal infections, systemic inflammation and cardiovascular disease: current evident and perspectives. In In: A perspective of periodontal systemic relationships for the Asian Pacific region, ed. Bartold PM, Ishikawa I, Zhang J;.2008,pp.p.114-121.
- Berezow AB, Jin LJ & Darveau RP. The molecular basis of host defense mechanisms in oral disease. In In: Molecular Oral Microbiology. ed. Anthony H. Rogers;.2008,pp.p.237-255.
- Jin LJ. Periodontal maintenance therapy. In Clinical Periodontology.2006,pp.362-368.
- Jin LJ. Research advances in periodontal etiopathology. In Research advances and clinical practice in periodontics: Bridging the gap.2006,pp.26-38.
- Jin LJ. Periodontal medicine. In Clinical Periodontology.2006,pp.221-229.
- Jin LJ. Trauma from occlusion and occlusal therapy. In Clinical Periodontology.2006,pp.263-273.
- Jin LJ. Editor. In Year Book of Chinese Stomatology.2005,.
- Corbet EF & Jin LJ. Periodontal risk assessment and prognosis: Current status & future development - A Perspective From Hong Kong. In: Current trends in periodontal diagnosis, disease recongition and management. In Proceedings of the 5th Asian Pacific Society of Periodontology.2004,pp.67-72.
- Jin LJ. Editor. In Year Book of Chinese Stomatology.2004,.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Crosstalk of human gingival/oral epithelial cells and monocytes with P. gingivalis/P. gingivalis DNA: Epigenetic regulation and molecular signaling [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD779,429)
- 2012-: Nano-encapsulated Chinese herbal extracts as novel immunomodulators and enhancers of innate host defense in human gingiva [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,244,865)
- 2012-: Mechanism of Antifungal Resistance in Candida Persisters: Roadmap to Unravel Biofilm Resistance? [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD965,360)
- 2012-: Novel antifungal small molecule for multi-drug resistant Candida: anti-biofilm activity, in vivo efficacy and cellular targets [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD935,360)
- 2012-: Identification of antifungal molecules from novel probiotic Lactobacillus bacteria for controlling Candida infection [Health and Medical Research Fund - Mini Grant] (HKD80,000)
- 2012-: Antifungal resistance and virulence attributes of Candida bloodstream isolates derived from Hong Kong [Health and Medical Research Fund - Mini Grant] (HKD80,000)
- 2011-: Effects of chronic periodontitis on endothelial progenitor cells: Molecular mechanisms and clinical implications [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD790,000)
- 2010-: Research Output Prize (Faculty of Dentistry) [Research Output Prize (in Faculty)] (HKD120,000)
- 2009-2011: Modulation of innate immune responses in human gingiva by P. gingivalis lipopolysaccharide with lipid A heterogeneity Novel molecular mechanisms and clinical implications [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD755,760)
- 2009-2012: A clinical investigation on the association of periodontal disease with endothelial biomarkers and dysfunction [Small Project Funding] (HKD72,000)
- 2014-: A randomized controlled trial of a laser-aided orthodontic treatment for patients with periodontitis [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD865,444) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2014-: Does inflammation affect periodontal cell communication through Eph-ephrin under mechanical loading? [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD606,223) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2013-: Engineering human dental pulp tissues using prevascularized microtissue spheroids constructed by dental pulp stem cells and gene-modified endothelial cells [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,128,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2013-: Lipoteichoic acid (LTA) of pathogenic Enterococcus faecalis modulates the functional characteristics of osteoblasts and osteoclasts [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD765,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2012-2013: Bacterial and inflammatory attributes for voice disorders in adult females [Small Project Funding] (HKD36,763) (with et al)
- 2012-2012: Periodontal pathogens inhibit endothelial healing: novel evidence of inflammation in atherosclerosis [Small Project Funding] (HKD36,800) (with LI, Xiao et al)
- 2011-2012: Synergistic effects of endothelial progenitor cells and apical papilla stem cells on dental pulp regeneration [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD493,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2010-2011: Cross-talk of host oral epithelial cells with commensal and pathogenic bacteria [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000) (with C. Jayampath Seneviratne et al)
- 2009-2011: Dentin-pulp complex and periodontal tissues regeneration in root canal perforation by the stem cells from the apical papilla and periodontal ligament. [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2009-2010: Phosphoproteomics of Candida hyphal formation [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000) (with C. Jayampath Seneviratne et al)
Honours and Awards
- Best poster award Salivary Research Group, International Association for Dental Research. 2016. JIANG S, Gao X, Jin L & Lo ECM.
- 2016 IADR/AADR William J. Gies Award for Biomaterials and Bioengineering Research IADR/AADR. 2016. Dissanayaka WL, ZHU L, Hargreaves KM, Jin L & Zhang C.
- 2016 Journal of Endodontics Awards, the best articles published in JOE during the 2015 calendar year . 2016. Dissanayaka WL, ZHU L, Hargreaves KM, Jin L & Zhang C.
- 2012 International Association for Dental Research (IADR) - South East Asia Division /Unilever Hatton Divisional Award (Senior category), Hong Kong (Primary Supervisor for Ms. H.J. Li, a PhD student) IADR - Southeast Asian Division. 2012. LI H, Seneviratne CJ, Wang CY & Jin L.
- 2012 International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award, Iguaçu, Brazil (Primary Supervisor for Dr. P.H. Ding, a PhD student) IADR. 2012. Ding P, Darveau RP, Wang CY & Jin L.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2012 University of Hong Kong. 2012. Lo ECM, Seneviratne CJ, Gao X, Jin L, Samaranayake LP & Bridges SM.
- 2012 International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award, Iguaçu, Brazil (Co- supervisor for Mr. W.L. Dissanayaka, a PhD student) IADR. 2012. Dissanayaka WL, Zhang C, Hargreaves KM & Jin L.
- Research Output Prize The University of Hong Kong. 2012. Seneviratne CJ, Wang Y, Jin L & Samaranayake LP.
- 2011 International Association for Dental Research (IADR) - South East Asia Division /Unilever Hatton Divisional Award (Senior category), Singapore (Primary Supervisor for Ms. H.M.T.D.K. Herath, a PhD student) IADR - South East Asia Division. 2011. Herath MTDKH, Wang Y, Seneviratne CJ, Darveau RP, Wang CY & Jin L.
- 2011 International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award (Primary Supervisor for Mr. H.M.H.N. Bandara, a PhD student) . 2011. Jin L.
- Editorial Board Member (Journal of Clinical Periodontology) 2011
- Editorial Board Member (2010.1- 2012.12) (Journal of Dental Research) 2010
- Associate Editor (2009 - present) (Journal of Investigative & Clinical Dentistry) 2009
- Editorial Board Member (International Dental Journal) 2008
- Editorial Board Member (Journal of Periodontal Research) 2008
- Editorial Board Member (overseas) (Chinese Journal of Dental Research) 2007
- Associate Editor (Prosthodontic Research & Practice (Japan)) 2007
- Editorial Board Member (Asian Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery) 2007
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board (Journal of Periodontology) 2007
- Deputy Editor (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2007
Additional Academic Appointments
- Visiting Professor. Sun Yat-Sen University Guanghua College of Stomatology, Guangzhou, China, May 15, 2008 2008
- Honorary Professor, Wenzhou Medical College, Institute of Stomatology, Wenzhou, China. Wenzhou Medical College, Institute of Stomatology, Wenzhou, China, November 2007 2007
- Honorary Professor. Wenzhou Medical School, Institute of Stomatology, Wenzhou, China, November 2007 2007
- Honorary Professor, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China, December 2005.. Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China 2005
- Honorary Professor. Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China, December 2005. 2005
- Guest Associate Professor. Peking University School of Stomatology 2002
- Guest Associate Professor, Stomatological College. Hubei Medical University, Wuhan, China 2000