Dr Leung, Katherine Chiu ManBDS, MDS, PhD, FRACDS, FHKAM (Dental Surgery), FCDSHK (Pros)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Oral health of medically compromised patients
- Oral microbiology
- Oral health-related quality of life
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Xin WN, Leung KCM, Lo ECM, Mok MY & Leung MH. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of fluoride varnish in preventing dental caries of Sjögren’s syndrome patients. BMC Oral Health 2016;16:102. doi:10.1186/s12903-016-0296-7
- Wong ATY, Wat PYP, Pow EHN & Leung KCM. Proximal contact loss between implant-supported prostheses and adjacent natural teeth: a retrospective study. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2015;26:e68-e71. doi:10.1111/clr.12353
- Chan AKY & Leung KCM. Chair-side conversion: from cement-retained to a screw-retained implant-supported crown. Dental Asia 2015;March/April:40-42.
- Kon H, Botelho MG, Bridges SM & Leung KCM. The impact of complete denture making instructional videos on self-directed learning of clinical skills. Journal of Prosthodontic Research 2015;. doi:10.1016/j.jpor.2015.01.004
- Ip PYL & Leung KCM. Supra-occluding indirect restoration for management of localized worn dentition opposing implant-supported fixed partial denture.. Dental Asia 2014;July/August:40-42.
- Lee LTK, Pow EHN & Leung KCM. Conversion of a maxillary complete denture to an interim implant-supported, screw-retained hybrid bridge by a combined direct/indirect technique.. Dental Asia 2013;July/August:31-33.
- Leung KCM & McGrath CPJ. Willingness to pay for implant therapy: a study of patient preference. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2010;21:789-793. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01897.x
- Wat PYP, Wong ATY, Leung KCM & Pow EHN. Proximal contact loss between implant-supported prostheses and adjacent natural teeth: A clinical report. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 2010;105:1-4. doi:10.1016/S0022-3913(10)00174-5
- Leung KCM & Pow EHN. Oral rehabilitation with removable partial dentures in advanced tooth loss situations. Hong Kong Dental Journal 2009;6:39-45.
- Leung KCM. Restoration of partially edentulous maxilla implant-supported prosthesis with bar-and-magnet attachement. Dental Asia 2009;:28-30.
Books and Chapters
- Leung KCM & Pow EHN. Implant therapy for the medically compromised patients. In Research and clinical application of dental implant therapy.2010,pp.83-91.
- Pow EHN, Chen Z & Leung KCM. Complications and their managing principles for dental implant therapy. In Research and clinical application of dental implant therapy.2010,pp.235-246.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of silver diamine fluoride for caries control in removable partial dentures wearers [Small Project Funding] (HKD68,996)
- 2013-: Surface characteristics of UV-treated titanium [Small Project Funding] (HKD68,578)
- 2012-: Clinical evaluation of overdenture abutments [Small Project Funding] (HKD65,093)
- 2011-: Willingness-to-accept and willingness-to-pay for fixed partial dentures [Small Project Funding] (HKD50,750)
- 2009-2011: Willingness-to-accept (WTA) for dental implant treatment [Small Project Funding] (HKD56,025)
- 2008-2012: Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of fluoride varnish for caries prevention in patients with Sj鐷rens syndrome' [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD534,508)
- 2008-2010: A prospective study on the effect of new complete dentures on quality of life, emotion and nutrition [Small Project Funding] (HKD41,767)
- 2008-2010: Phospholipase, proteinase and haemolytic activities of oral Candida albicans of patients with Sjögren’s syndrome [Small Project Funding] (HKD61,500)
- 2005-2008: Salivary microbes in patients with Sjögren's syndrome [Small Project Funding] (HKD52,000)
- 2004-2008: Oral yeast and anaerobic bacteria level in patients with Sjögren's syndrome after saliva stimulation [Small Project Funding] (HKD66,000)
- 2011-: Blended learning in Dentistry: 3-D resources for problem-based and case-based learning [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD220,372) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2002-2005: A randomised double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover clinical study of the efficacy of cevimeline hydrochloride in the treatment of xerostomia in Sjogren's Syndrome [Small Project Funding] (HKD120,000) (with et al)
- 1999-2000: Prevalence of symptoms of temporomandibular disorders in adult Hong Kong Chinese [Research Mentorship Programme] (HKD37,000) (with POW Edmond H N et al)
Honours and Awards
- Asian Dentech 2000 Award (Best Oral Presentation) : "Are symptoms associated with temporomandibular disorders a problem in Hong Kong?" Asian Dentech 2000. The Asian Regional Committee of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong. 2001. Pow EHN, Leung KCM & McMillan AS.
- Associate Editor (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2011