Professor Leung, Wai KeungBDS, MDS (HK), PhD (British Columbia), FHKAM (Dental Surgery), FCDSHK (Perio), FDS RCSEd
Areas of Research Expertise
- Human periodontal microbial ecology and virulence
- Effects of altered human oral physiology on the corresponding microbial ecology
- Clinical trials of periodontal care strategies
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Tan SK, Leung WK, Tang ATH & Zwahlen RA. Letter to the editor on the article “Impact on the upper airway space of different types of orthognathic surgery for the correction of skeletal class III malocclusion: A systematic review and meta-analysis”. International Journal of Surgery 2017;45:156-157. doi:10.1016/j.ijsu.2017.03.083
- Yeung WKA, Goto TK & Leung WK. At the Leading Front of Neuroscience: A Bibliometric Study of the 100 Most-Cited Articles. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2017;11:363. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2017.00363
- TAN SK, Leung WK, Tan ATH & Zwahlen RA. How does mandibular advancement with or without maxillary procedures affect pharyngeal airways? An overview of systematic reviews. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0181146. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0181146
- Goh V, Hackmack PP, Corbet EF & Leung WK. Moderate- to long-term periodontal outcomes of subjects failing to complete a course of periodontal therapy. Australian Dental Journal 2017;62:152-160. doi:10.1111/adj.12440
- Yeung WKA & Leung WK. Review of Docphin: An App for Mobile Access to Medical Journals. Journal of Digital Imaging 2017;30:130-132. doi:10.1007/s10278-016-9925-6
- Yeung WKA, Goto TK & Leung WK. The Changing Landscape of Neuroscience Research, 2006–2015: A Bibliometric Study. Frontiers in Neuroscience 2017;11:120. doi:10.3389/fnins.2017.00120
- Yeung WKA, Goto TK & Leung WK. Basic taste processing recruits bilateral anteroventral and middle dorsal insulae: An activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis of fMRI studies. Brain and Behavior 2017;7:e00655. doi:10.1002/brb3.655
- HUO Y, Chan YK, Lacap-Bugler DC, Mo S, Woo PCY, Leung WK & Watt RM. Multilocus Sequence Analysis of Phylogroup 1 and 2 Oral Treponeme Strains. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2017;83:e02499-16. doi:10.1128/AEM.02499-16
- Yeung WKA & Leung WK. Review of Radiology: App for Android by the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA). Journal of Digital Imaging 2017;30:1-3. doi:10.1007/s10278-016-9926-5
- Yeung WKA, Goto TK & Leung WK. A bibliometric review of research trends in neuroimaging. Current Science 2017;112:725-734. doi:10.18520/cs/v112/i04/725-734
Books and Chapters
- Goh V, Goo CL & Leung WK. Prevention of peri-implantitis should start at treatment planning. In Advances in Medicine and Biology.1162017,pp.Chapter 9, pp. 129-199.
- WANG X, CHEN Y & Leung WK. Role of the Hypoxia-Inducible Factor in Periodontal Inflammation. In Hypoxia and Human Diseases.2017,pp.285-302.
- LI CL, Lu WW, SENEVIRATNE CJ, Leung WK & Zwahlen RA. Role of periodontal disease in bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws in ovariectomized rats. In Clin Oral Implants Res.272016,pp.1-6.
- Zheng Y, Song Y & Leung WK. Periodontitis: A Common Oral Disease the Genetic Susceptibility. In Advances in Genetics Research.152015,pp.99-125.
- Goh V, Nihalani D & Leung WK. Periodontal Disease and Oral Health-Related Quality of Life. In Oral Health: Social Determinants, Role of Nutrition and Impact on Quality of Life.12015,pp.1-31.
- YOU M, Watt RM & Leung WK. Chapter XI: Diversity of Oral Spirochetes and Their Role as Periodontopathogens. In Current Trends in Periodontics and Implant Dentistry.2013,pp.199-214.
- Chai L & Leung WK. Influences of systemic diseases on periodontal health. In Current Trends in Periodontics and Implant Dentistry.II2013,pp.19-40.
- Cheng RHW, Yiu CKY & Leung WK. Oral Health in Individuals with Down syndorme. In Prenatal Diagnosis and Screening for Down Syndrome.2011,pp.59-76.
- Chai L, Corbet EF & Leung WK. Genetic polymorphisms and periodontitis. In Periodontitis symptoms, treatment and prevention.2010,pp.209-219.
Principal Investigator :
- 2015-: In vitro study of salivary pellicle formation on dental restorative material surfaces. [Small Project Funding] (HKD72,618)
- 2015-2015: Turning risk into opportunity: biology of biofilm formation on dental restorative materials – maximizing the anti-plaque potential of fillings [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000)
- 2015-2018: Genetic risks for chronic periodontitis: A genome-wide association study [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD999,980)
- 2014-2017: Protective effect of oral lining cells against anaerobic periodontal infection: Does microbe associated molecular pattern recognition interact with hypoxic preconditioning? [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD602,390)
- 2014-2015: The role of periodontal resident cell TLR4 signaling and HIF-1α biology in modulating autophagy in human chronic periodontitis [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000)
- 2013-2015: Comparison of subgingival bacterial profiles in chronic periodontitis subjects with and without type 2 diabetes by 16S rRNA pyrosequencing [Small Project Funding] (HKD78,000)
- 2012-2015: Four-dimensional analysis of human higher brain function during eating: functional MRI study of taste, mastication, and swallowing [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,006,236)
- 2012-2013: Hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1 alpha regulates expression of Toll-like Receptors (TLR) in human gingival resident cells [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000)
- 2011-2012: Hypoxia-inducible Factor 1 Alpha Induces Human Gingival Keratinocytes to Express Functional Toll-Like Receptor 4 in vitro and in vivo [Small Project Funding] (HKD49,654)
- 2010-2014: Impacts of patient-centered periodontal disease management on oral health-related quality of life. [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,237,000)
- 2014-: Subgingival microbiota in patients with early and established rheumatoid arthritis [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD83,800) (with et al)
- 2014-: Role of low dose bisphosphonate in compromised host with preriodontal diseases: risk or benefit? [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD35,800) (with ZHENG Li Wu et al)
- 2014-: Whats in your pockets? Single-site analysis of Treponema and Synergistetes populations associated with periodontal health and disease [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD619,525) (with WATT, Rory M et al)
- 2013-: Application of minimal invasive non-surgical periodontal technique on periodontal therapy [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000) (with Ho, Dominic King Lun et al)
- 2013-: A Pilot Study of the Total Microbial Community in Periodontitis Patients using Next Generation Sequencing [Small Project Funding] (HKD69,575) (with Lacap-Bugler, Donnabella Castillo et al)
- 2013-: Role of Denosumab in inducing jawbone osteonecrosis on a rat model [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD67,300) (with ZHENG Li Wu et al)
- 2013-: Investigation of biofilm formation on dental materials [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000) (with BURROW, M.F. et al)
- 2013-: Molecular analysis of Synergistetes communities associated with chronic and aggressive forms of periodontitis [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD100,900) (with WATT, Rory M et al)
- 2013-: Impact of oral bacteria on unmasking bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD639,000) (with ZHENG Li Wu et al)
- 2012-: Role of oral bacteria in unmasking bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD51,000) (with ZHENG Li Wu et al)
Honours and Awards
- Proteomic evaluating salivary acquired pellicle on restorative material surfaces 2016 IADR Heraeus Kulzer Travel Award and 1st runner's up IADR-SEA Unilever Hatton Division Award, 30th Annual Scientific Meeting (2016) of the International Association for Dental Research. 2016. WEI C, Burrow MF, Botelho MG & Leung WK.
- Research Award in Periodontology and Microbiology, 29th Annual Scientific Meeting (2015) of the International Association for Dental Research, South-east Asian Division International Association for Dental Research South-east Asian Division. 2015. Watt RM, YU X, Chan YK & Leung WK.
- Best Paper Award in Microbiology / Immunology / Periodontal Research 26th IADR-SEA Annual Scientific Meeting. 2012. Leung WK, You M, Mo S & Watt RM.
- Listerine Award in Investigative Periodontology Conjoint Scientific Meeting and 1st Guangdong-Hong Kong Postgraduate Forum in Dental Science. 2010. Mo S, You M, Leung WK & Watt RM.
- Faculty Research Output Prize 2010, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, June 2010: Microbiology Of Odontogenic Bacteraemia: Beyond Endocarditis. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2009. Parahitiyawa NB, Jin LJ, Leung WK, Yam WC & Samaranayake LP.
- Best presentation (Behavioral Science and Health Service Research) in the 22nd Meeting of International Association for Dental Research Annual - Southeast Asian Division. Manila, Philippines; Oct 8-10, 2008 International Association for Dental Research Annual - Southeast Asian Division. Manila, Philippines; Oct 8-10, 2008. 2008. CHENG HF, LEE YM, Chu CH, Leung WK & Mok TMY.
- Journal Editor (Hong Kong Medical Journal) 2008
- Editor-in-Chief (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2007
- Editor-in-Chief (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2006
- Deputy Editor (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2004