Professor McGrath, Colman PatrickBA, BDentSc (Hons) (Dub), MEd (UNE, Australia), FDSRCS (Eng), DDPHRCS (Eng), MSc (Eng), FFDRCS (Ire), PhD (Eng)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Social impact of oral health and oral health quality of life
- Impact of society on oral health and oral health inequalities
- Research in dental education
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- DAI R, Lam OLT, Lo ECM, Li L & McGrath CPJ. A randomized clinical trial of oral hygiene care programmes during stroke rehabilitation. Journal of Dentistry 2017;61:48-54. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2017.04.001
- Wong HM, Bridges SM, McGrath CPJ, Yiu CKY, Zayts OA & Au TKF. Impact of Prominent Themes in Clinician-Patient Conversations on Caregiver’s Perceived Quality of Communication with Paediatric Dental Visits. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0169059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0169059
- AB MALIK NB, ZHANG J, Lam OLT, Jin L & McGrath CPJ. Effectiveness of computer-aided learning in oral health among patients and caregivers: a systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2017;24(1):209-217. doi:10.1093/jamia/ocw045
- Wong HM, Peng SM, Yang Y, King NM & McGrath CPJ. Tooth eruption and obesity in 12-year-old children. Journal of Dental Sciences 2017;:12: 126-132.
- Wong HM, Wen YF, King NM & McGrath CPJ. Longitudinal changes in developmental defects of enamel. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2016;:44(3):255-62.. doi:10.1111/cdoe.12213
- Wen Z, McGrath CPJ & Lo ECM. Effectiveness of DIAGNOdent in Detecting Root Caries Without Dental Scaling Among Community-dwelling Elderly. Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry 2016;14:555-561. doi:10.3290/j.ohpd.a37140
- Gu M, McGrath CPJ, Hagg EUO, Wong RWK & Yang Y. Anatomy Of The Upper Airway And Its Growth In Childhood. Journal Of Dentistry And Oral Biology 2016;Volume 1, Issue 1, 2016:1-3.
- REN C, McGrath CPJ, Jin L, Zhang C & Yang Y. Effect of diode low-level lasers on fibroblasts derived from human periodontal tissue: a systematic review of in vitro studies.. Lasers Med Sci 2016;. doi:10.1007/s10103-016-2026-4
- Wong HM, Peng S, Wen YF & McGrath CPJ. A population survey of early factors associated with permanent tooth emergence: findings from a prospective cohort study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2016;:44: 467-475. doi:10.1111/cdoe.12236
- Lee HMG, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY. Developing clinical practice guidelines for caries prevention and management for pre-school children through the ADAPTE process and Delphi consensus. Health Research Policy and Systems 2016;14:44. doi:10.1186/s12961-016-0117-0
Books and Chapters
- McGrath CPJ, Chen BPC, Chin HM, Hung KLE, Lee EY, Leung CH, Man LHA, Ngai P, Tsang KD & Wong TY. Oral Health Survey and Service for Children and Adolescents in Residential Care. In Community Health Project Report Series.2092017,pp.1-45.
- McGrath CPJ, Chan C, Keung WYC, Lam OCB, Luo LY, Man A, Poon PH, Tang SY & Yu KCY. Human and Animal Oral Health - are they related?. In Community Health Project Report Series.2062017,pp.1-49.
- McGrath CPJ, Cheung HT, Hui LWC, Lam HW, Lam MY, Lee YY, Lin KK, Mak NHY & Wong WH. Oral Health and Healthy Ageing in the Hong Kong context. In Community Health Project Report Series.2032016,pp.1-45.
- McGrath CPJ, Chick KM, Fu HL, Lee SCY, Luk ST, Ng BYK, Ming AHH, Wong EHS, Yeung KC & Yung MC. Is acupuncture effective in controlling gagging when taking an alginate impression?. In Community Health Project Report Series.2022016,pp.1-48.
- McGrath CPJ, Chan WK, Chu RJDH, Fung KKW, Law YW, Lee TCS, Mak CH, Tam KM, Wong DWK & Wu CH. Is 'Oil Pulling' a 'Snake Oil'? - A clinical trial. In Community Health Project Report Series.1972015,pp.1-58.
- McGrath CPJ, Au KY, Cheung HC, Chung SM, Lai CF, Leung JKK, Leung YF, Ng YC, Wah JYS & Wong CL. Effectiveness of a denture hygiene intervention programme among institutionalized elders. In Community Health Project Report Series.1942015,pp.1-67.
- McGrath CPJ. Patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) for implant dentistry and oral tissue regeneration. In Osteology Guidelines for Oral & Maxillofacial Regeneration - Clnical Research.2014,pp.89-96.
- McGrath CPJ, Choy RKY, Lam KL, Lee KY, Lei KW, Liu BYT, Pek JXY, Poon YT, Siu BKB & Tse CL. The eye of the beholder: Social judgements of oral health. In Community Health Project Report Series.1912014,pp.1-66.
- McGrath CPJ, Chan YD, Choi JYC, Ho KL, Kueh SLL, Lai GCH, Lee HH, Lee NAPY, Liu CH & Ng NYL. Dental tourism in Hong Kong: Perils or Pearls?. In Community Health Project Report Series.1902014,pp.1-56.
- McGrath CPJ, Au WSW, Chan JSM, Fok MR, Ho CY, Mak CW, Wong KCK & Wong AKY. App-solutely fabulous! But are they effective for oral health promotion? A review and evaluation of oral self-care 'Apps'. In Community Health Project Report Series.1852013,pp.1-46.
Principal Investigator :
- 2013-: A randomized clinical trial on the effect of powered toothbrushing and an antimicrobial mouth rinse on dental plaque, pathogenic microorganisms and health of stroke survivors during rehabilitation. [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD685,165)
- 2010-2011: A spatial analysis of the “Children of 1997” birth cohort’s oral health – is it a ‘fat’ issue? [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD67,000)
- 2009-2011: A randomized clinical trial of the treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea using oral appliances [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD566,820)
- 2005-2007: Inequalities in oral health and oral health care delivery in Hong Kong: an analysis of extant data [Health and Health Services Research Fund - Full Grants] (HKD186,629)
- 2005-2006: What happens to children's life quality when school dental services end, and can dental services safeguard it? [Incentive Award for RGC GRF Fundable But Not Funded Projects] (HKD30,000)
- 2004-2005: Malocclusion, orthodontic treatment and the life quality of children in Hong Kong [Incentive Award for RGC GRF Fundable But Not Funded Projects] (HKD30,000)
- 2003-2007: 'Bucked teeth' (severe incisor overjet), orthodontic corrective treatment and the life quality of children in China: a multi-centre cohort study [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000)
- 2003-2004: Malocclusion, orthodontic treatment and the life quality of children in Hong Kong [Incentive Award for RGC GRF Fundable But Not Funded Projects] (HKD30,000)
- 2002-2003: An oral health status outcome measure for children: the Chinese version [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD50,000)
- 2000-2001: Patients' perceptions of recovery after third molar surgery - changes in life quality [Research Initiation Programme] (HKD86,500)
- 2015-2017: Motivational interviewing in changing adolescents' oral health behaviors: Face-to-face individual counseling versus online groups [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD739,125) (with GAO Jennifer Xiaoli et al)
- 2014-: A randomized controlled trial of a laser-aided orthodontic treatment for patients with periodontitis [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD865,444) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2014-: Evaluation of the implementation of caries prevention and management by caries risk assessment guideline: a pilot study [Small Project Funding] (HKD71,396) (with LEE, Gillian Hiu Man et al)
- 2014-: Stem cell approach for maxillary sinus grafting in atrophic maxilla [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,299,049) (with CHEUNG Lim K et al)
- 2013-: Motivational interviewing and interactive risk assessment in changing adolescents' oral health behaviours [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD765,692) (with GAO Jennifer Xiaoli et al)
- 2013-: Childhood risk factors for delayed eruption of permanent teeth [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD524,356) (with WONG Gloria H M et al)
- 2013-2015: Innovative Interventions to Elicit Positive Dental Health Behaviors in Preschool Children: a Randomized Controlled Trial [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD925,752) (with GAO Jennifer Xiaoli et al)
- 2012-: Health literacy and clinical communication: Global intersections in Asia [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD857,180) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2012-: Oral Health Promotion for and through Indonesian Domestic Helpers in Hong Kong [Health Care and Promotion Fund - Research Grant Projects] (HKD255,000) (with GAO Jennifer Xiaoli et al)
- 2012-: Implant supported facial prostheses for the treatment of craniofacial defects [S.K. Yee Medical Foundation - General Award] (HKD2,132,640) (with CHEUNG Lim K et al)
Honours and Awards
- Best Poster Award, Congress of the International Society for Oral Laser Applications, Beijing, China. An overview of the parameters of low-level diode laser therapy in orthodontic pain management. The 8th Congress of the International Society for Oral Laser Applications. 2014. REN C, McGrath CPJ & Yang Y.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2014 The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, Lo ECM & McGrath CPJ.
- HKU Research Output Prize The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY.
- Best Oral Presentation. "Evidence-based dental education: A case study in clinical communication" 23rd SEAADE Annual Scientific Meeting. 2012. Cheng BSS, Bridges SM, Yiu CKY & McGrath CPJ.
- Travel Award - Awarded by The 10th Meeting of Consortium for Globalization of Chinese Medicine CGCM 2011, Shanghai, August 26-28, 2011 . 2011. Chen Y, Wong RWK, Seneviratne CJ, Hagg EUO & McGrath CPJ.
- Evaluation of oral hygiene interventions in patients following acute stroke/IADR Lion Dental Research Award: 89th General Session & Exhibition of the IADR, San Diego, Calif., USA, 2011 . 2011. Lam LT, McGrath CPJ, Samaranayake LP & Li LSW.
- Best Oral Paper - Co-author SEAADE Dental Education Research Competition, 21st Annual Scientific Meeting of SEAADE, Taipei, Taiwan. 2010. Yiu CKY, McGrath CPJ, Bridges SM, Corbet EF, Botelho MG, Dyson JE, Wong RWK & Chan LK.
- Du RY, McGrath C, Yiu CKY, King NM. Health-related and oral health-related quality of life among preschool children with cerebral palsy. Best Poster Presentation Conjoint scientific sessions – Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Hong –Peking University School of Stomatology, 16-17 November 2009. 2009. Du Y, McGrath CPJ, Yiu CKY & King NM.
- Patients’ Perceptions Regarding Microimplant as Anchorage in Orthodontics Outstanding Poster Award. Second International Conference on Evidence-based Advanced Dentistry, Conjoint Congress 2007. Hong Kong, China, 16 – 19 November, 2007. 2007. Lee TCK, Rabie ABM, Wong RWK & McGrath CPJ.