Dr Pow, Edmond Ho NangBDS, MDS (Pros Dent), PhD (HK), MRACDS (Pros), FRACDS, FCDSHK (Prosthodontics), FHKAM (Dental Surgery)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma
- Quality of life
- Implant dentistry
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Lam YH, Hsung TC, Choi WWS, Luk WK & Pow EHN. A 2-part facebow for CAD-CAM dentistry.. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.05.013
- Homaei E, Farhangdoost K, Pow EHN, Matinlinna JP, Akbari M & Tsoi KH. Fatigue resistance of monolithic CAD/CAM ceramic crowns on human premolars. Ceramics International 2016;42:15709-15717. doi:10.1016/j.ceramint.2016.07.029
- Homaei E, Farhangdoost K, Tsoi KH, Matinlinna JP & Pow EHN. Static and fatigue mechanical behavior of three dental CAD/CAM ceramics. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2016;59:304-313. doi:10.1016/j.jmbbm.2016.01.023
- Pow EHN, Chen Z, Kwong DLW & Lam OLT. Salivary Anionic Changes after Radiotherapy for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: A 1-Year Prospective Study. PLOS ONE 2016;11:e0152817. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0152817
- LIU D, Tsoi KH, Pow EHN & Wong HM. Influence of different etching protocols on the reliability of resin bonding to CAD/CAM feldspathic porcelain. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 2015;62:18-24. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2015.06.007
- Li JY, Zheng L, Ma L, Kwong DLW, Cheung LK & Pow EHN. Effect of fluoride-modified titanium surface on early adhesion of irradiated osteoblasts. BioMed Research International 2015;:1-9. doi:10.1155/2015/219752
- Leung BTW, Tsoi KH, Matinlinna JP & Pow EHN. Comparison of mechanical properties of three machinable ceramics with an experimental fluorophlogopite glass ceramic. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 2015;114:440-446. doi:10.1016/j.prosdent.2015.02.024
- Wong ATY, Wat PYP, Pow EHN & Leung KCM. Proximal contact loss between implant-supported prostheses and adjacent natural teeth: a retrospective study. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2015;26:e68-e71. doi:10.1111/clr.12353
- Chen ZF, Feng SQ, Pow EHN, Lam OLT, Mai S & Wang H. Organic anion composition of human whole saliva as determined by ion chromatography. Clinica Chimica Acta 2015;438:231-235. doi:10.1016/j.cca.2014.08.027
- Li JY, Pow EHN, Zheng L, Ma L, Kwong DLW & Cheung LK. Effects of calcium phosphate nanocrystals on osseointegration of titainium implant in irradiated bone. BioMed Research International 2015;2015:1-6. doi:10.1155/2015/783894
Books and Chapters
- Pow EHN, Chen Z & Leung KCM. Complications and their managing principles for dental implant therapy. In Research and clinical application of dental implant therapy.2010,pp.235-246.
- Leung KCM & Pow EHN. Implant therapy for the medically compromised patients. In Research and clinical application of dental implant therapy.2010,pp.83-91.
Principal Investigator :
- 2013-: Enhancing resin-titanium bond by silane coupling agents [Small Project Funding] (HKD43,484)
- 2013-: Anti-infective therapy of Er,Cr:YSGG laser on contaminated zirconia implant surfaces [Health and Medical Research Fund - Mini Grant] (HKD78,000)
- 2011-2014: Effect of jaw opening device on mouth opening and quality of life of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD45,613)
- 2009-2012: Salivary anionic analysis of patients receiving radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Small Project Funding] (HKD66,567)
- 2008-2011: Comparision of different extraction techniques and PCR assays for measuring salivary Epstein-Barr virus DNA levels in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,408)
- 2007-2010: Detection of Epstein-Barr virus in saliva of patients receiving treatment for nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Small Project Funding] (HKD71,500)
- 2006-2009: The impact of adjuvant chemotherapy on the quality of life of patients receiving radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Small Project Funding] (HKD70,000)
- 2004-: Oral yeast profile of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients after intensity-modulated radiotherapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD66,000)
- 2002-2004: A prospective study on oral yeast and coliform profile of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD50,000)
- 1999-2000: Prevalence of symptoms of temporomandibular disorders in adult Hong Kong Chinese [Research Mentorship Programme] (HKD37,000)
- 2014-: Stem cell approach for maxillary sinus grafting in atrophic maxilla [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,299,049) (with CHEUNG Lim K et al)
- 2012-: Implant supported facial prostheses for the treatment of craniofacial defects [S.K. Yee Medical Foundation - General Award] (HKD2,132,640) (with CHEUNG Lim K et al)
- 2008-2012: Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of fluoride varnish for caries prevention in patients with Sj鐷rens syndrome' [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD534,508) (with LEUNG Katherine C M et al)
- 2002-2004: The efficacy of a saliva substitute delivered by a novel intra-oral device in the management of xerostomia after head and neck irradiation [Small Project Funding] (HKD40,000) (with LEUNG Katherine C M et al)
- 2001-2004: The impact of intensity modulated radiotherapy on the oral health status and quality of life of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Low Budget High Impact Programme] (HKD120,000) (with et al)
- 2000-2003: Oral health-related quality of life among disease-free survivors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD60,000) (with et al)
Honours and Awards
- The Judson C Hickey Scientific Writing Award (Dental Technique Category) The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2015. Shum MHC & Pow EHN.
- Research project no.: 212267: Implant supported facial prostheses for the treatment of craniofacial defects Award of grant, S.K.Yee Medical Founation (August 2012 - July 2014). 2012. Cheung LK, Tam CK, Pow EHN, Ho SMY, Fung SC & Chua HDP.
- Charles T. Kean Memorial Award (Best Paper Award) "Identification of Disease Associated EBV Genotypes in Hong Kong" 24th IADR-SEA Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwan. 2010. Perera RAPM, Su YCF, Pow EHN, Lee MP, Li P, Smith G & Tsang PCS.
- Asian Dentech 2000 Award (Best Oral Presentation) : "Are symptoms associated with temporomandibular disorders a problem in Hong Kong?" Asian Dentech 2000. The Asian Regional Committee of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong. 2001. Pow EHN, Leung KCM & McMillan AS.
- The Dr. Wong Min Sam Prize in Children's Dentistry and Orthodontics The University of Hong Kong. 1992. Pow EHN.
- The University of Hong Kong Dental Alumni Association Prize The University of Hong Kong. 1992. Pow EHN.
- Member (Editorial Board, Clinical Oral Implants Research) 2016
- Associate editor (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2016
- Reviewer of the Editorial Review Board (Journal of Prosthodontics) 2016
- Member of Editoriad Board (Journal of American Dental Association (Chinese Edition)) 2016
- Member (Editorial Board, Clinical Oral Implants Research) 2015
- Reviewer of the Editorial Review Board (Journal of Prosthodontics) 2015
- Associate editor (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2015
- Member of Editoriad Board (Journal of American Dental Association (Chinese Edition)) 2015
- Member (Editorial Board, Clinical Oral Implants Research) 2014
- Member of Editoriad Board (Journal of American Dental Association (Chinese Edition)) 2014