Dr Tsang, Peter Chiu ShunBDS (HK), PhD (HK), FRACDS
Areas of Research Expertise
- Clinical oral microbiology
- Oral biology of medically compromised patients
- Molecular methods for microbial identification and characterization.
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Shibu T, Tsang PCS, Asok M, Sajith B, Sivan PP & Nisha V. A study on exoenzyme activities of Candida albicans isolated from oral cavities of HIV-infected patients on HAART. Journal of Human Virology & Retrovirology 2015;2. doi:10.15406/jhvrv.2015.02.00037
- Shan J, Pow EHN, Tsang PCS, PERERA RAPM & Kwong DLW. Comparison of two laboratory extraction techniques for the detection of Epstein–Barr virus in the saliva of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry 2013;5(2):104-8. doi:10.1111/jicd.12078
- Tsang WK, Wong PK, Lam OLT, Tsang PCS & Li NF. Purpurin inhibits biofilm development in non-albicans Candida fungi. Journal of Dental Research 2013;92 (Special Issue B):548.
- YANG H, Tsang PCS & Tsang WK. Melatonin interferes with the biofilm development in Candida parapsilosis. Journal of Dental Research 2013;92 (Special Issue B):660.
- Tsang WK, Bandara HMHN, Samaranayake LP, Tsang PCS & Fong WP. Purpurin-induced changes in the proteome of Candida albicans. Journal of Dental Research 2012;91 (Special Issue C):168913.
- Perera RAPM, Tsang PCS, Samaranayake LP, Lee MP & Li P. Prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in adults undergoing highly active antiretroviral therapy in Hong Kong.. Journal of Investigative Clinical Dentistry 2012;3:208-14. doi:10.1111/j.2041-1626.2012.00124.x
- Bandara HMHN, Samaranayake LP, Tsang PCS & Tsang WK. Purpurin alters the architecture of Candida albicans biofilms. Journal of Dental Research 2011;90 (Special Issue B):176.
- Tsang PCS & Tsang WK. Aspirin as an antifungal lock therapy agent. Journal of Dental Research 2011;90 (Special Issue B):177.
- Pow EHN, Law MYT, Tsang PCS, Perera RAPM & Kwong DLW. Salivary Epstein-Barr virus DNA level in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma following radiotherapy. Oral Oncology 2011;47(9):879-882. doi:10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.06.507
- Tsang PCS & Tang DYK. Effect of surface treatments of titanium on amphotericin B-treated Candida albicans persister cells.. Mycoses 2011;54:189-94. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0507.2009.01790.x
Books and Chapters
- Bridges SM, Green JL, Botelho MG & Tsang PCS. Blended learning and PBL: An interactional ethnographic approach to understanding knowledge construction in-situ. In Essential Readings in Problem-Based Learning: Exploring and Extending the Legacy of Howard S. Barrows..2015,pp.107-130.
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Tsang PCS, McGrath CPJ, Lo ECM & Samaranayake LP. e-Learning for problem-based learning at the Faculty of Dentistry. In The New era of e-Learning: Mobile Learnig and Interactive Class for the New Curriculum.2012,pp.148-157.
- Tsang PCS & Samaranayake LP. Sterilization and disinfection. In Contemporary esthetic dentistry.2012,pp.751-756.
- Tsang PCS. Associate editor. In Journal of Dentistry, Oral Medicine and Dental Education.2009,.
Principal Investigator :
- 2008-2010: Epstein-barr virus and trasnsforming growth factor in HIV infected patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,408)
- 2007-2009: Epstein-Barr virus genotypes and their prevalence in oral samples of HIV-infected patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD61,500)
- 2006-2009: Effect of different protease inhibitors on Candida albicans SAP1- SAP10 gene expression. [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000)
- 2005-2006: Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on oral candidiasis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals in Hong Kong [Incentive Award for RGC GRF Fundable But Not Funded Projects] (HKD30,000)
- 2005-2008: Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on oral candidiasis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals in Hong Kong [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD40,000)
- 2004-2005: Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on oral candidiasis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals in Hong Kong [Incentive Award for RGC GRF Fundable But Not Funded Projects] (HKD30,000)
- 2003-2006: In vitro effects of protease inhibitors on the adherence of Candida albicans isolated from HIV-infected patients to buccal epithelial cells [Small Project Funding] (HKD50,000)
- 2002-2004: A genetic and microbiological study of oral diseases in patients with diabetes mellitus in Hong Kong [Small Project Funding] (HKD92,000)
- 2009-2010: Blended learning and interactive pedagogies: Supporting problem-based learning in dental education [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD518,675) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-2012: Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of fluoride varnish for caries prevention in patients with Sj鐷rens syndrome' [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD534,508) (with LEUNG Katherine C M et al)
- 2008-2011: Comparision of different extraction techniques and PCR assays for measuring salivary Epstein-Barr virus DNA levels in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,408) (with POW Edmond H N et al)
- 2008-2010: Phospholipase, proteinase and haemolytic activities of oral Candida albicans of patients with Sjögren’s syndrome [Small Project Funding] (HKD61,500) (with LEUNG Katherine C M et al)
- 2007-2010: Detection of Epstein-Barr virus in saliva of patients receiving treatment for nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Small Project Funding] (HKD71,500) (with POW Edmond H N et al)
- 2000-2002: Detection of bacteria in infected dental root canals and genes predisposing to infective endocarditis [Low Budget High Impact Programme] (HKD17,000) (with CHU Frederick C S et al)
Honours and Awards
- Outstanding Teaching Award (OTA) Team "PBL 2.0: E-learning for Problem-based Learning (PBL) at the Faculty of Dentistry" The University of Hong Kong Teaching Excellence Award Scheme(2012). 2013. Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Lo ECM, Tsang PCS, Watt RM, Yang Y & Wong JW.
- Charles T. Kean Memorial Award (Best Paper Award) "Identification of Disease Associated EBV Genotypes in Hong Kong" 24th IADR-SEA Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwan. 2010. Perera RAPM, Su YCF, Pow EHN, Lee MP, Li P, Smith G & Tsang PCS.
- HAART Influences Oral Chemokine and Cytokine Profiles.IADR/Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Awards IADR/AADR/CADR 87th General Session, Miami, Fla., USA, 2009. 2009. Perera RAPM, Tsang PCS, Miller C, Samaranayake LP, Li P, Lee MP & McMillan AS.
- HAART Influences Oral Chemokine and Cytokine Profiles.IADR/Lion Dental Research Award IADR/AADR/CADR 87th General Session, Miami, Fla., USA, 2009. 2009. Perera RAPM, Tsang PCS, Miller C, Samaranayake LP, Li P, Lee MP & McMillan AS.
- Predominant cultivable subgingival microbiota of HIV-infected ethnic Chinese. Best Paper in Periodontology and Microbiology Research for the 14th Annual Scientific Meeting, 1999, Singapore. IADR SEA Division. IADR SEA Division. 1999. Tsang PCS & Samaranayake LP.
- Associate editor (Journal of Dentistry, Oral Medicine and Dental Education) 2009