Dr Wong, Gloria Hai MingDDS, MDSc, AdvDipPaediatrDent, PhD, M Paed Dent RCSEd, MRACDS (Paed), FCDSHK (Paed Dent), FHKAM (Dental Surgery), FDS RCSEd
Areas of Research Expertise
- Developmental defects of enamel
- Social impact of child oral health
- Children with special health care needs
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- SUN L, Wong HM & McGrath CPJ. The factors that influence the oral health-related quality of life in 12-year-old children: baseline study of a longitudinal research. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2017;:15:155 (14 pages). doi:10.1186/s12955-017-0729-2
- Li LW, Wong HM & McGrath CPJ. Longitudinal Association between Obesity and Dental Caries in Adolescents. The Journal of Pediatrics 2017;:DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2
- Wong HM, MA KW, Yang YX, Yiu CKY & Yang Y. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of the students’ perceptions to the use of 3D electronic models in problem-based learning. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal 2017;:9(2), 128-142..
- ZHOU N, Wong HM, Wen YF & McGrath CPJ. Oral health status of children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2017;:doi: 10.1111/dmcn.13486. doi:10.1111/dmcn.13486
- Zhao D, Tsoi KH, Wong HM, Chu CH & Matinlinna JP. Paediatric Over-the-Counter (OTC) Oral Liquids Can Soften and Erode Enamel. Dentistry Journal 2017;5:17. doi:10.3390/dj5020017
- Wong HM, MA KW, Yang LYX & Yang Y. Dental Students’ Attitude towards Problem-Based Learning before and after Implementing 3D Electronic Dental Models.. International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering 2017;:Vol:104, No:8, 2110, 6 pages.
- Ai ZT, Mak CM & Wong HM. Noise level and its influences on dental professionals in a dental hospital in Hong Kong. Building Services Engineering Research & Technology 2017;:38(5), 522-535. doi:10.1177/0143624417705529
- Wong MLW, Lai SHF, Wong HM, Yang YX & Yiu CKY. How well can the parents, dentists or dental surgery assistants assess children's dental anxiety level?. SM Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2017;:3(1): 1036.
- Wong HM, Bridges SM, McGrath CPJ, Yiu CKY, Zayts OA & Au TKF. Impact of Prominent Themes in Clinician-Patient Conversations on Caregiver’s Perceived Quality of Communication with Paediatric Dental Visits. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0169059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0169059
- Wong HM, Peng SM, Yang Y, King NM & McGrath CPJ. Tooth eruption and obesity in 12-year-old children. Journal of Dental Sciences 2017;:12: 126-132. doi:10.1016/j.jds.2016.10.004
Books and Chapters
- Wong HM. Fluorosis. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Tooth eruption and exfoliation. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Variations in number of teeth. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-BlackwellVariations in number of t.
- Wong HM. Developmental defects of enamel. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Variations in tooth morphology. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Is the southern Chinese reference data set of dental age assessment applicable to Thai people? [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,325)
- 2013-: Dental age assessment for children with and without a supernumerary tooth [Small Project Funding] (HKD76,957)
- 2013-: Childhood risk factors for delayed eruption of permanent teeth [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD524,356)
- 2012-: Secular trend in the development of permanent teeth among five years old children [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD61,100)
- 2012-: Risk factors for the occurrence of developmental defects of enamel [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD354,920)
- 2011-2014: Impact of orofacial complications on oral health-related quality of life for children undergoing cancer therapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD47,576)
- 2008-2010: Parental perceptions of oral health-related quality of life for young children [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000)
- 2012-: Health literacy and clinical communication: Global intersections in Asia [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD857,180) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2011-2011: KE Award: "Making an impact - Oral health literacy for community dentistry" [University Grants Committee - Other Funding Scheme] (HKD60,000) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2010-2011: A spatial analysis of the “Children of 1997” birth cohort’s oral health – is it a ‘fat’ issue? [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD67,000) (with MCGRATH, Colman Patrick et al)
- 2010-2012: Oral health literacy - Implications for Hong Kong's children [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD472,350) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
Honours and Awards
- Faculty Outstanding Teacher Award 2016 Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. 2017. Wong HM.
- Audience Choice Award of Three Minute Thesis Competition (Primary Supervisor) 2016 Faculty Annual Scientific Meeting, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Wong HM.
- Impact case study of UGC-funded university for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Wong HM.
- Knowledge Exchange Excellence Award 2015 for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Wong HM.
- Stephen H Y Wei Award in Paediatric Dentistry for "Dental Outreach Project － To Special-Need Groups in Nanning & Liuzhou Guangxi, Mainland China" (Faculty Advisor) Turn $1 to Five – Centenary Scholarship Fund. 2016. Wong HM.
- IADR SEA Research Category Award - Dental Materials - Laboratory Research International Association of Dental Research, Southeast Asia Division. 2015. Tsoi KH, Ho BJ, LIU D, Lung YK, Wong HM & Matinlinna JP.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2015 (Faculty of Dentistry) for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2015. Wong HM.
- Distinguished Young Fellow Hong Kong Acadamy of Medicine. 2014. Wong HM.
- Best Poster Award, The 4th Hong Kong International Dental Expo and Symposium (HKIDEAS), Hong Kong. Effects of breastfeeding on primary occlusal development in Hong Kong children. Hong Kong International Dental Expo and Symposium (HKIDEAS). 2014. Sum FHKMH, Zhang L, Ling HTB, Yeung CPW, Li KY, Wong HM & Yang Y.
- Winner of the GO CAMBRIDGE Enterprise Competition 2014 (Primary Supervisor) The University of Cambridge Judge Business School’s Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning and HKU SPACE. 2014. Wong HM.
- (Pediatrics and Primary Care Physicians) 2017
- (Forensic Medicine and Anatomy Research) 2017
- (British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research) 2017
- (Heighpubs Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) 2017
- (Journal of Dentistry & Oral Disorders) 2017
- (British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research) 2016
- (Journal of Dentistry & Oral Disorders) 2016
- (Austin Journal of Dentistry) 2015
- (Forensic Medicine and Anatomy Research) 2015
- (British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research) 2015