Dr Wong, Gloria Hai MingDDS, MDSc, AdvDipPaediatrDent, PhD, MPaedDentRCSEd, MRACDS(Paed), FCDSHK (Paed Dent), FHKAM (Dental Surgery)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Developmental defects of enamel
- Social impact of child oral health
- Children with special health care needs
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Wong HM, Bridges SM, McGrath CPJ, Yiu CKY, Zayts OA & Au TKF. Impact of Prominent Themes in Clinician-Patient Conversations on Caregiver’s Perceived Quality of Communication with Paediatric Dental Visits. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0169059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0169059
- Wong HM, Wen YF, King NM & McGrath CPJ. Longitudinal changes in developmental defects of enamel. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2016;:44(3):255-62.. doi:10.1111/cdoe.12213
- JAYARAMAN J, Wong HM, King NM & Roberts GJ. Development of a Reference Data Set (RDS) for dental age estimation (DAE) and testing of this with a separate Validation Set (VS) in a southern Chinese population. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 2016;:43, 26-33. doi:10.1016/j.jflm.2016.07.007
- Wong HM, Peng S, Wen YF & McGrath CPJ. A population survey of early factors associated with permanent tooth emergence: findings from a prospective cohort study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2016;:44; 467-475. doi:10.1111/cdoe.12236
- LI L, Wong HM, SUN L, Wen YF & McGrath CPJ. Anthropometric measurements and periodontal diseases in children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Advances in Nutrition 2016;:6, 828-841. doi:10.3945/an.115.010017
- Ho BJ, Tsoi KH, LIU D, Lung YK, Wong HM & Matinlinna JP. Effects of sandblasting distance and angles on resin cement bonding to zirconia and titanium. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 2015;62:25-31. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2015.06.009
- LIU D, Tsoi KH, Pow EHN & Wong HM. Influence of different etching protocols on the reliability of resin bonding to CAD/CAM feldspathic porcelain. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 2015;62:18-24. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2015.06.007
- Wen YF, Wong HM & McGrath CPJ. Longitudinal photogrammetric analysis of soft tissue facial changes: a systematic review of the literature and a summary of recommendations. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 2015;:26(6), 1830-1834. doi:10.1097/SCS.0000000000001909
- Wong HM, Peng SM, King NM & McGrath CPJ. Infant growth and the occurrence of developmental defects of enamel in 12-year-olds. Caries Research 2015;49:575-582. doi:10.1159/000381425
- Wen YF, Wong HM, Lin R, Yin G & McGrath CPJ. Inter-Ethnic/Racial Facial Variations: A Systematic Review and Bayesian Meta-Analysis of Photogrammetric Studies. PLoS ONE 2015;:10(8):e0134525. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0134525
Books and Chapters
- Wong HM. Variations in number of teeth. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-BlackwellVariations in number of t.
- Wong HM. Developmental defects of enamel. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Variations in tooth morphology. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Fluorosis. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wong HM. Tooth eruption and exfoliation. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,pp.Wiley-Blackwell.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Is the southern Chinese reference data set of dental age assessment applicable to Thai people? [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,325)
- 2013-: Dental age assessment for children with and without a supernumerary tooth [Small Project Funding] (HKD76,957)
- 2013-: Childhood risk factors for delayed eruption of permanent teeth [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD524,356)
- 2012-: Secular trend in the development of permanent teeth among five years old children [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD61,100)
- 2012-: Risk factors for the occurrence of developmental defects of enamel [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD354,920)
- 2011-2014: Impact of orofacial complications on oral health-related quality of life for children undergoing cancer therapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD47,576)
- 2008-2010: Parental perceptions of oral health-related quality of life for young children [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000)
- 2012-: Health literacy and clinical communication: Global intersections in Asia [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD857,180) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2011-2011: KE Award: "Making an impact - Oral health literacy for community dentistry" [University Grants Committee - Other Funding Scheme] (HKD60,000) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2010-2011: A spatial analysis of the “Children of 1997” birth cohort’s oral health – is it a ‘fat’ issue? [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD67,000) (with MCGRATH, Colman Patrick et al)
- 2010-2012: Oral health literacy - Implications for Hong Kong's children [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD472,350) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
Honours and Awards
- Impact case study of UGC-funded university for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Wong HM.
- Knowledge Exchange Excellence Award 2015 for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2016. Wong HM.
- Stephen H Y Wei Award in Paediatric Dentistry for "Dental Outreach Project － To Special-Need Groups in Nanning & Liuzhou Guangxi, Mainland China" (Faculty Advisor) Turn $1 to Five – Centenary Scholarship Fund. 2016. Wong HM.
- IADR SEA Research Category Award - Dental Materials - Laboratory Research International Association of Dental Research, Southeast Asia Division. 2015. Tsoi KH, Ho BJ, LIU D, Lung YK, Wong HM & Matinlinna JP.
- Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award 2015 (Faculty of Dentistry) for 'Dental Development: An Aid to Give Identities and to Inform General Health' The University of Hong Kong. 2015. Wong HM.
- Distinguished Young Fellow Hong Kong Acadamy of Medicine. 2014. Wong HM.
- Best Poster Award, The 4th Hong Kong International Dental Expo and Symposium (HKIDEAS), Hong Kong. Effects of breastfeeding on primary occlusal development in Hong Kong children. Hong Kong International Dental Expo and Symposium (HKIDEAS). 2014. Sum FHKMH, Zhang L, Ling HTB, Yeung CPW, Li KY, Wong HM & Yang Y.
- Winner of the GO CAMBRIDGE Enterprise Competition 2014 (Primary Supervisor) The University of Cambridge Judge Business School’s Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning and HKU SPACE. 2014. Wong HM.
- Best Manuscript Award of the International Symposium of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, Tokyo. Risk factors for the occurrence of developmental defects of enamel. Higher Education Forum. 2014. Wong HM.
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship 2013/14 (Primary Supervisor) University Grants Council, Hong Kong. 2013. Wong HM.
- (Journal of Dentistry & Oral Disorders) 2016
- (British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research) 2016
- (British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research) 2015
- (Austin Journal of Dentistry) 2015
- (Forensic Medicine and Anatomy Research) 2015
- (Austin Journal of Dentistry) 2014
- (Austin Forensic Science and Criminology) 2014
- (Journal of Dental Problems and Solutions) 2014
- (Edorium Journal of Dentistry) 2014
- (Edorium Journal of Health Education) 2014