Professor Yiu, Cynthia Kar YungBDS (London), MDS (HK), PhD (HK), FHKAM (Dental Surgery), FCDSHK (Paediatric Dentistry)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Dentine bonding
- Dental caries and restorative management in paediatric dentistry
- Oral health of children
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Ekambaram M & Yiu CKY. A Review of Enamel Remineralisation Potential of Calcium- and Phosphate-based Remineralisation Systems.. Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry 2017;. doi:10.3290/j.ohpd.a38779
- Wong HM, MA KW, Yang YX, Yiu CKY & Yang Y. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of the students’ perceptions to the use of 3D electronic models in problem-based learning. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal 2017;:9(2), 128-142..
- Epasinghe DJ, Kwan S, Chu D, Mei L, Burrow MF & Yiu CKY. Synergistic effects of proanthocyanidin, tri-calcium phosphate and fluoride on artificial root caries and dentine collagen. Materials Science and Engineering: C 2017;73:293-299. doi:10.1016/j.msec.2016.11.078
- Wong MLW, Lai SHF, Wong HM, Yang YX & Yiu CKY. How well can the parents, dentists or dental surgery assistants assess children's dental anxiety level?. SM Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2017;:3(1): 1036.
- Wong HM, Bridges SM, McGrath CPJ, Yiu CKY, Zayts OA & Au TKF. Impact of Prominent Themes in Clinician-Patient Conversations on Caregiver’s Perceived Quality of Communication with Paediatric Dental Visits. PLOS ONE 2017;12:e0169059. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0169059
- Epasinghe DJ, Yiu CKY & Burrow MF. Effect of flavonoids on remineralization of artificial root caries. Australian Dental Journal 2016;61:196-202. doi:10.1111/adj.12367
- Mohd Said SN, Ekambaram M & Yiu CKY. Effect of different fluoride varnishes on remineralization of artificial enamel carious lesions. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2016;. doi:10.1111/ipd.12243
- Lee HMG, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY. Developing clinical practice guidelines for caries prevention and management for pre-school children through the ADAPTE process and Delphi consensus. Health Research Policy and Systems 2016;14:44. doi:10.1186/s12961-016-0117-0
- Lee HMG, Pang HH, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY. Oral health of Hong Kong children: a historical and epidemiological perspective. Hong Kong Medical Journal 2016;22:372-381. doi:10.12809/hkmj154686
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY & Botelho MG. Design Considerations for an Integrated, Problem-Based Curriculum. Medical Science Educator 2016;. doi:10.1007/s40670-016-0255-6
Books and Chapters
- Yiu CKY. Patient Management. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,.
- Yiu CKY. Paediatric Dental Materials. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,.
- Yiu CKY. Sedation and general anaesthesia. In Dentistry at a Glance.2016,.
- Yiu CKY. Journal of contemporary dental practice. In .2014,.
- Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Tsang PCS, McGrath CPJ, Lo ECM & Samaranayake LP. e-Learning for problem-based learning at the Faculty of Dentistry. In The New era of e-Learning: Mobile Learnig and Interactive Class for the New Curriculum.2012,pp.148-157.
- Cheng RHW, Yiu CKY & Leung WK. Oral Health in Individuals with Down syndorme. In Prenatal Diagnosis and Screening for Down Syndrome.2011,pp.59-76.
- Au AHO, Hui KKK, Lau EWS, Tong LSM & Yiu CKY. Guidelines on sedation in pediatric patients. In Hong Kong Society of Pediatric Dentistry.2009,.
- Dyson JE, Yiu CKY, Samaranayake LP, Bridges SM, Lane T, Chan JPS, Cheng SW & Leung RTC. . In Problem-based learning in dentistry.2008,.
Principal Investigator :
- 2015-: Effect of deproteinization on bonding to enamel with molar incisor hypomineralization. [Small Project Funding] (HKD72,800)
- 2014-: The antibacterial and protease inhibitory effects of a novel cavity cleanser [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD47,900)
- 2013-: The incorporation of proanthocyanidin in a casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium fluoride phosphate paste on artificial root caries. [Small Project Funding] (HKD80,000)
- 2011-2012: Effect of proanthocyanidin on matrix metalloproteinase inhibition and resin-dentin bond strength [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD98,590)
- 2010-2013: Arresting biodegradation of dentin bonded interface [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD493,000)
- 2009-2011: Effect of ethanol wet-bonding on resin-dentin bond [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD70,000)
- 2008-: Assessing competency of dental graduates from problem-based learning and traditional curriculums: Graduates’ and Employers’ Perceptions [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD156,897)
- 2008-2009: Characterization and biodegradation of the resin-dentin interface in restored teeth [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD497,203)
- 2007-: Research Output Prize (Faculty of Dentistry) [Research Output Prize (in Faculty)] (HKD100,000)
- 2007-2010: Controlled release of chlorhexidine from dental adhesive resin [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD60,000)
- 2016-: Remineralization potential of Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) solution on enamel from hypomineralized first permanent molar teeth [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD150,000) (with EKAMBARAM Manikandan et al)
- 2014-: Evaluation of the implementation of caries prevention and management by caries risk assessment guideline: a pilot study [Small Project Funding] (HKD71,396) (with LEE, Gillian Hiu Man et al)
- 2012-: Health literacy and clinical communication: Global intersections in Asia [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD857,180) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2011-2011: KE Award: "Making an impact - Oral health literacy for community dentistry" [University Grants Committee - Other Funding Scheme] (HKD60,000) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2011-: Blended learning in Dentistry: 3-D resources for problem-based and case-based learning [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD220,372) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2011-2012: Evaluation of glass polyalkenoate cements when bonded to various tooth substrates [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD80,000) (with BURROW, M.F. et al)
- 2011-2013: Clinical interactions in dentistry – a micro analysis [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD43,000) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2010-2012: Oral health literacy - Implications for Hong Kong's children [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD472,350) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2009-2010: Blended learning and interactive pedagogies: Supporting problem-based learning in dental education [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD518,675) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
- 2008-2010: Professional interaction in dentistry: Enhancing the behavioural and social science aspects of problem-based and clinical learning across the undergraduate dental curriculum. [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD448,808) (with BRIDGES Susan et al)
Honours and Awards
- Best Abstract Award. 13th Communication, Medicine and Ethics (COMET) conference. Hong Kong. 2015. Nair R, Bridges SM & Yiu CKY.
- Stephen HY Wei Award in Paediatric Dentistry: The tooth fairy Turn $1 to Five - Centenary Scholarship. 2015. Yiu CKY.
- HKU Research Output Prize The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Gao X, McGrath CPJ & Yiu CKY.
- HKU Long Service Award The University of Hong Kong. 2014. Yiu CKY.
- Evaluation of a Clinical Session Diary - Student and Staff Feedback - Best Oral Presentation The 24th South East Asian Association of Dental Education, Bangkok, Thailand. 2013. Botelho MG, Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Zwahlen RA, Ho KL & Chang JWW.
- Outstanding Teaching Award (OTA) Team "PBL 2.0: E-learning for Problem-based Learning (PBL) at the Faculty of Dentistry" The University of Hong Kong Teaching Excellence Award Scheme(2012). 2013. Bridges SM, Yiu CKY, Botelho MG, Lo ECM, Tsang PCS, Watt RM, Yang Y & Wong JW.
- IADR Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award "Synergistic effect of proanthocyanidin and CPP-ACFP on Root Caries remineralization" 91st General Session & Exhibition (IADR/AADR/CADR). 2013. EPASINGHE DJ, Yiu CKY & Burrow MF.
- Continuing Education Prize Hong Kong Dental Association. 2013. Yiu CKY.
- Best Oral Presentation. "Evidence-based dental education: A case study in clinical communication" 23rd SEAADE Annual Scientific Meeting. 2012. Cheng BSS, Bridges SM, Yiu CKY & McGrath CPJ.
- Best Paper Award in Cariology Research/Mineralized Tissue Research. Effect of enzymatic-based chemomechanical caries removal on dentine bonding. 26th Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research, South East Asia, Singapore. 2012. HAMAMA HHHE, Yiu CKY & Burrow MF.
- Journal of contemporary dental practice () 2014
- Journal of Dental Research and Review () 2014
- Paediatric Dentistry Journal () 2013
- (Journal of Korean Academy of Conservative Dentistry) 2011
- (Brazilian Reseach in Pediatric Dentistry and Integrated Clinic) 2010
- (ISRN Dentistry) 2010
- Associate Executive Editor (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2009
- Editorial Advisory Board (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2009