Professor Zhang, ChengfeiDDS, PhD (Beijing Med)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Regenerative endodontics
- Microbiological aspects of endodontics
- Application of lasers in dentistry
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- LI M, Zhang C, Jin L, Matsuo K & Yang Y. Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide regulates ephrin/Eph signalling in human periodontal ligament fibroblasts. Journal of Periodontal Research 2017;52:913-921. doi:10.1111/jre.12463
- LIAO C, Cheng T, WANG S, Zhang C, Jin L & Yang Y. Shear stress inhibits IL-17A-mediated induction of osteoclastogenesis via osteocyte pathways. Bone 2017;101:10-20. doi:10.1016/j.bone.2017.04.003
- Seneviratne CJ, Suriyanarayanan T, Swarup S, Chia KHB, Nagarajan N & Zhang C. Transcriptomics Analysis Reveals Putative Genes Involved in Biofilm Formation and Biofilm-associated Drug Resistance of Enterococcus faecalis. Journal of Endodontics 2017;43:949-955. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2017.01.020
- Panduwawala Kankanamalage CPP, Zhan X, Dissanayaka WL, Samaranayake LP, Jin L & Zhang C. In vivo periodontal tissue regeneration by periodontal ligament stem cells and endothelial cells in three-dimensional cell sheet constructs. Journal of Periodontal Research 2017;52:408-418. doi:10.1111/jre.12405
- XU J, Zhu S, Heng BCA, Dissanayaka WL & Zhang C. TGF-β1-induced differentiation of SHED into functional smooth muscle cells. Stem Cell Research & Therapy 2017;8(10). doi:10.1186/s13287-016-0459-0
- XU J, GONG T, Heng BCA & Zhang C. A systematic review: differentiation of stem cells into functional pericytes. The FASEB Journal 2017;31:1775-1786. doi:10.1096/fj.201600951RRR
- Ye X & Zhang C. Effects of Hyperlipidemia and Cardiovascular Diseases on Proliferation, Differentiation and Homing of Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Current Stem Cell Research & Therapy 2017;12:1-1. doi:10.2174/1574888X12666170316105805
- Heng BCA, GONG T, Wang S, Lim LW, Wu W & Zhang C. Decellularized Matrix Derived from Neural Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells Enhances the Neurogenic Potential of Dental Follicle Stem Cells. Journal of Endodontics 2017;43(3):409-416. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2016.10.033
- REN C, McGrath CPJ, Jin L, Zhang C & Yang Y. The effectiveness of low-level laser therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a meta-analysis.. Journal of Periodontal Research 2017;52:8-20. doi:10.1111/jre.12361
- ZOU T, Dissanayaka WL, Jiang S, Wang S, Heng BCA, Huang X & Zhang C. Semaphorin 4D Enhances Angiogenic Potential and Suppresses Osteo-/Odontogenic Differentiation of Human Dental Pulp Stem Cells. Journal of Endodontics 2017;43:297-305. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2016.10.019
Books and Chapters
- Zhang C. Dental Pulp Stem Cells and Hydrogel in Pulp Regeneration. In Dental Stem Cells: Regenerative Potential.12016,pp.133-145.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Hypoxia enhances the angiogenic potential of stem cells from apical papilla via upregulation of VEGF and ephrinB2 expression [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD59,900)
- 2013-: TNF-α Induction of Human Dental Pulp Stem Cells’ EphB2/ephrin-B1 Expression [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD84,100)
- 2013-: Engineering human dental pulp tissues using prevascularized microtissue spheroids constructed by dental pulp stem cells and gene-modified endothelial cells [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,128,000)
- 2013-: Lipoteichoic acid (LTA) of pathogenic Enterococcus faecalis modulates the functional characteristics of osteoblasts and osteoclasts [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD765,000)
- 2013-: Bcl-2 and cMyc gene-transfected dental pulp stem cells outcompete bone marrow-derived cells in dental pulp regeneration [National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) - General Program] (HKD879,200)
- 2012-: Prevascularized periodontal ligament cell sheet with endothelial cells promotes periodontal tissue complex regeneration [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD61,100)
- 2011-2012: Synergistic effects of endothelial progenitor cells and apical papilla stem cells on dental pulp regeneration [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD493,000)
- 2011-2013: Dentin-pulp tissue regeneration by dental pulp stem cells and CD34+ endothelial progenitor cells in vitro [Small Project Funding] (HKD51,588)
- 2010-2011: Lipoteichoic acid (LTA) of pathogenic Enterococcus faecalis modulates the functional characteristics of osteoblasts and osteoclasts [Travel Grants for NSFC/RGC JRS] (HKD4,500)
- 2009-2011: Dentin-pulp complex and periodontal tissues regeneration in root canal perforation by the stem cells from the apical papilla and periodontal ligament. [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000)
- 2014-: Biological effects of laser on lipopolysaccharides-stimulated periodontal ligment cells under mechanical loading [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD47,900) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2014-: A randomized controlled trial of a laser-aided orthodontic treatment for patients with periodontitis [Health and Medical Research Fund - Full Grant] (HKD865,444) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2014-: Does inflammation affect periodontal cell communication through Eph-ephrin under mechanical loading? [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD606,223) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2013-: Attaining the therapeutic grade: Regulating adult mesenchymal stem cell regenerative potency with micrometric sugar coatings [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD114,369) (with et al)
- 2012-: Effects of silver diamine fluoride and carbon dioxide laser on root caries with cariogenic biofilm challenge in artificial mouthnd [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD72,300) (with CHU Chun Hung et al)
- 2012-: Effects of lipopolysaccharide on human periodontal ligament cells under mechanical loading [Small Project Funding] (HKD66,400) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2012-2012: Periodontal pathogens inhibit endothelial healing: novel evidence of inflammation in atherosclerosis [Small Project Funding] (HKD36,800) (with LI, Xiao et al)
- 2011-: Blended learning in Dentistry: 3-D resources for problem-based and case-based learning [Teaching Development Grants] (HKD220,372) (with YANG Yan-Qi et al)
- 2011-: Stem cells in human dental pulp with irreversible pulpitis and their potential for tissue regeneration [Small Project Funding] (HKD47,576) (with CHEUNG Shun Pan et al)
- 2010-2013: Clinical evaluation of single versus multiple visit endodontic therapy [Small Project Funding] (HKD60,000) (with CHU Chun Hung et al)
Honours and Awards
- The interplay of dental pulp stem cells and endothelial cells in an injectable peptide hydrogel on angiogenesis and pulp regeneration in vivo The award of the 2016 Research Output Prize. 2016. Zhang C.
- 2016 Journal of Endodontics Awards (honorable mentions) articles published in JOE during the 2015 calendar year . 2016. Bhoj M, Zhang C & Green DW.
- 2016 IADR/AADR William J. Gies Award for Biomaterials and Bioengineering Research IADR/AADR. 2016. Dissanayaka WL, ZHU L, Hargreaves KM, Jin L & Zhang C.
- 2016 Journal of Endodontics Awards, the best articles published in JOE during the 2015 calendar year . 2016. Dissanayaka WL, ZHU L, Hargreaves KM, Jin L & Zhang C.
- Research Output Award - Faculty of Dentistry 2016 . 2015. Dissanayaka WL, Zhang C & Jin L.
- 2012 International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/Colgate Research in Prevention Travel Award, Iguaçu, Brazil (Co- supervisor for Mr. W.L. Dissanayaka, a PhD student) IADR. 2012. Dissanayaka WL, Zhang C, Hargreaves KM & Jin L.
- Member of JADA Editorial Board (JADA Editorial Board, Guangzhou, China, February 27) 2013