Dr Leung, Mike Yiu YanBDS HK, MDS HK (OMS), MOSRCS Edin, FCDSHK (OMS), FHKAM (DS), PhD HK
Areas of Research Expertise
- Dentoalveolar surgery and coronectomy
- Neurosensory disturbance in the maxillofacial area
- Trigeminal nerve repair and regeneration
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Ismail I & Leung MYY. Anterior open bite correction by Le Fort 1 osteotomies with or without anterior segmentation: Which is more stable?. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2017;. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2017.02.1275
- Alolayan AB & Leung MYY. Resolution of neurosensory deficit after mandibular orthognathic surgery: A prospective longitudinal study. Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery 2017;45:755-761. doi:10.1016/j.jcms.2017.01.032
- Fung PPL, Bedogni G, Bedogni A, Petrie A, Porter S, Campisi G, Bagan J, Fusco V, Sala G, Acham S, Musto P, Petrucci MT, Diz P, Colella G, Mignogna MD, Pentenero M, Arduino P, Lodi G, Maiorana C, Manfredi M, Hallberg P, Wadelius M, Takaoka K, Leung MYY, Bonacina R, Schiodt M, Lakatos P, Taylor T, De Riu G, Favini G, Rogers SN, Pirmohamed M, Nicoletti P & Fedele S. Time to onset of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: a multicentre retrospective cohort study. Oral Diseases 2017;23:477-483. doi:10.1111/odi.12632
- Tsui WK, Yang Y & Leung MYY. Distraction osteogenesis as a treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Medicine 2016;95:e4674. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004674
- Lee CW, Foo QC, Wong LV & Leung MYY. An Overview of Maxillofacial Trauma in Oral and Maxillofacial Tertiary Trauma Centre, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction 2016;10:16-21. doi:10.1055/s-0036-1584893
- Leung MYY. Results of the treatment of keratocystic odontogenic tumours using enucleation and treatment of the residual bony defect with Carnoy's solution. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;45:1154-1158. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2016.02.002
- Chow RLK, Lau ASL & Leung MYY. A non-invasive and accurate measurement of gingival thickness using cone beam computerized imaging for the assessment of planning immediate implant in the esthetic zone – a pig jaw model.. Implant Dentistry 2016;. doi:10.1097/ID.0000000000000437
- Leung MYY. When should elective neck dissection be performed in maxillary gingival and alveolar squamous cell carcinoma with a cN0 neck? A systematic review. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2016.05.021
- Leung MYY. Accuracy of Different Modalities to Record Natural Head Position in 3 Dimensions: A Systematic Review. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2016.04.022
- Leung MYY. Longitudinal Treatment Outcomes of Microsurgical Treatment of Neurosensory Deficit after Lower Third Molar Surgery: A Prospective Case Series. PLOS ONE 2016;11:e0150149. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150149
Books and Chapters
- Leung MYY. . In .2013,pp.88-89.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Comparison of surgical accuracy of a general articulator and an orthognathic-based articulator [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,327)
- 2013-: Guided Bone Regeneration to Reduce Root Migration after Coronectomy of the Lower Third Molar: A Randomised Clinical Trial [Early Career Scheme (ECS)] (HKD643,000)
- 2012-: Differentiation of Schwann cell-like cells from stem cells derived from dental origin [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000)
- 2013-2014: 3D static and motion capture in patients with dentofacial deformity [Small Project Funding] (HKD69,575) (with LO John et al)
Honours and Awards
- Second Prize Winner in the Oral Presentation at the 11th Asian Congress on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2014 11th Asian Congress on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2014. Leung MYY.
- Top 25 most-downloaded articles of International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2011 full year Article: "Risk factors of neurosensory deficits in lower third molar surgery: a literature review of prospective studies". Int. J.O.M.S.: 40(1): p1-10, Jan. 2011. 2012. Leung MYY & Cheung LK.
- The Winner of the Best Scientific Presentation The 1st Hong Kong – Singapore Joint Symposium of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2011. 2011. Leung MYY.
- Hong Kong Sino-British Trust Scholars Foundation Scholarship Hong Kong Sino-British Trust Scholars Foundation Scholarship. 2009. Leung MYY.
- Gold Medal, Best Original Research by Trainee Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. 2008. Leung MYY.
- Outstanding Oral Abstract Presentation Award at the 19th Convocation of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong, May 29 - June 2, 2008, Hong Kong. 2008. Leung MYY & Cheung LK.
- Young Lecturer Award 19th Convocation of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong, May 2008. 2008. Leung MYY.