Dr Leung, Mike Yiu YanBDS HK, MDS HK (OMS), MOSRCS Edin, FCDSHK (OMS), FHKAM (DS), PhD HK
Areas of Research Expertise
- Dentoalveolar surgery and coronectomy
- Neurosensory disturbance in the maxillofacial area
- Trigeminal nerve repair and regeneration
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Public Health and Healthy Ageing Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Leung MYY. Results of the treatment of keratocystic odontogenic tumours using enucleation and treatment of the residual bony defect with Carnoy's solution. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;45:1154-1158. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2016.02.002
- Tsui WK, Yang Y & Leung MYY. Distraction osteogenesis as a treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Medicine 2016;95:e4674. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004674
- Leung MYY. When should elective neck dissection be performed in maxillary gingival and alveolar squamous cell carcinoma with a cN0 neck? A systematic review. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2016.05.021
- Chow RLK, Lau ASL & Leung MYY. A non-invasive and accurate measurement of gingival thickness using cone beam computerized imaging for the assessment of planning immediate implant in the esthetic zone – a pig jaw model.. Implant Dentistry 2016;. doi:10.1097/ID.0000000000000437
- Leung MYY. Accuracy of Different Modalities to Record Natural Head Position in 3 Dimensions: A Systematic Review. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2016.04.022
- Leung MYY. Longitudinal Treatment Outcomes of Microsurgical Treatment of Neurosensory Deficit after Lower Third Molar Surgery: A Prospective Case Series. PLOS ONE 2016;11:e0150149. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150149
- Leung MYY. Coronectomy of lower third molars with and without guided bony regeneration: a pilot study. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016;54:155-159. doi:10.1016/j.bjoms.2015.12.010
- Leung MYY & Cheung LK. Long term morbidities of coronectomy on lower third molar.. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016;121:5-11. doi:10.1016/j.oooo.2015.07.012
- Au AH, Choi SW, Cheung CW & Leung MYY. The Efficacy and Clinical Safety of Various Analgesic Combinations for Post-Operative Pain after Third Molar Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.. PLoS One 2015;10:e0127611. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127611
- Lee CT, Zhang S, Leung MYY, Li SK, Tsang CC & Chu CH. Patients' satisfaction and prevalence of complications on surgical extraction of third molar.. Patient Preference and Adherence 2015;10:257-263. doi:10.2147/PPA.S76236
Books and Chapters
- Leung MYY. . In .2013,pp.88-89.
Principal Investigator :
- 2014-: Comparison of surgical accuracy of a general articulator and an orthognathic-based articulator [Small Project Funding] (HKD46,327)
- 2013-: Guided Bone Regeneration to Reduce Root Migration after Coronectomy of the Lower Third Molar: A Randomised Clinical Trial [Early Career Scheme (ECS)] (HKD643,000)
- 2012-: Differentiation of Schwann cell-like cells from stem cells derived from dental origin [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000)
- 2013-2014: 3D static and motion capture in patients with dentofacial deformity [Small Project Funding] (HKD69,575) (with LO John et al)
Honours and Awards
- Second Prize Winner in the Oral Presentation at the 11th Asian Congress on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2014 11th Asian Congress on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2014. Leung MYY.
- Top 25 most-downloaded articles of International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2011 full year Article: "Risk factors of neurosensory deficits in lower third molar surgery: a literature review of prospective studies". Int. J.O.M.S.: 40(1): p1-10, Jan. 2011. 2012. Leung MYY & Cheung LK.
- The Winner of the Best Scientific Presentation The 1st Hong Kong – Singapore Joint Symposium of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2011. 2011. Leung MYY.
- Hong Kong Sino-British Trust Scholars Foundation Scholarship Hong Kong Sino-British Trust Scholars Foundation Scholarship. 2009. Leung MYY.
- Gold Medal, Best Original Research by Trainee Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. 2008. Leung MYY.
- Outstanding Oral Abstract Presentation Award at the 19th Convocation of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong, May 29 - June 2, 2008, Hong Kong. 2008. Leung MYY & Cheung LK.
- Young Lecturer Award 19th Convocation of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, Hong Kong, May 2008. 2008. Leung MYY.