Professor Cheung, Gary Shun PanBDS, MDS (HK), MSc (Lond), PhD (HK), FRACDS, FAMS, FICD, FDSRCSEd, MRACDS (Endo) , FHKAM (Dental Surgery), FCDSHK (Endo)
Areas of Research Expertise
- Root canal instruments and materials science
- Survival analysis of endodontic therapies
- Bonding in root canal-treated teeth
- Endodontic materials and applications
- Regenerative endodontics
Faculty Research Group
- Primary Member of Faculty Biomedical and Tissue Engineering Research Group
- Affiliated Member of Faculty Infection and Immunity Research Group
Selected Latest Publications
- Neelakantan P, Romero M, Vera J, Daood U, Khan AU, Yan A & Cheung GSP. Biofilms in Endodontics—Current Status and Future Directions. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2017;18:1748. doi:10.3390/ijms18081748
- LI X, Cheung GSP, Watson GS, Watson JA, Lin S, Schwarzkopf L & Green DW. The nanotipped hairs of gecko skin and biotemplated replicas impair and/or kill pathogenic bacteria with high efficiency. Nanoscale 2016;8:18860-18869. doi:10.1039/C6NR05046H
- Ho ESS, Chang JWW & Cheung GSP. Quality of root canal fillings using three gutta-percha obturation techniques. Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics 2016;41:22. doi:10.5395/rde.2016.41.1.22
- Kwak SW, Cheung GSP, Ha JH, Kim SK, Lee H & Kim HC. Preference of undergraduate students after first experience on nickel-titanium endodontic instruments. Restor Dent Endod 2016;41:176-181.
- Min Y, Ma JZ, Shen Y, Cheung GSP & Gao Y. A micro-computed tomography study of the negotiation and anatomical feature in apical root canal of mandibular molars. Scanning 2016;9999:1-6. doi:10.1002/sca.21331
- Heng BCA, Ye X, LIU Y, Dissanayaka WL, Cheung GSP & Zhang C. Effects of Recombinant Overexpression of Bcl2 on the Proliferation, Apoptosis, and Osteogenic/Odontogenic Differentiation Potential of Dental Pulp Stem Cells. Journal of Endodontics 2016;42:575-583. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2016.01.013
- She CML, Cheung GSP & Zhang C. Long-Term Follow-Up of a Revascularized Immature Necrotic Tooth Evaluated by CBCT. Case Reports in Dentistry 2016;2016:1-5. doi:10.1155/2016/4982458
- Liu L, Shu S, Cheung GSP & Wei X. Effect of miR-146a/bFGF/PEG-PEI Nanoparticles on Inflammation Response and Tissue Regeneration of Human Dental Pulp Cells. BioMed Research International 2016;2016:1-12. doi:10.1155/2016/3892685
- Siew KL, Lee AHC & Cheung GSP. Treatment Outcome of Repaired Root Perforation: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Endodontics 2015;41(11):1795-1804. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2015.07.007
- Chan ELK, Zhang C & Cheung GSP. Cytotoxicity of a novel nano-silver particle endodontic irrigant. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dentistry 2015;7:65-74. doi:10.2147/CCIDE.S68874
Books and Chapters
- Dorn SO & Cheung GSP. Management of Endodontic Emergencies. In Cohen's Pathways of the Pulp.Eleventh Edition2015,pp.706-721.
- Cheung GSP. . In Journal editor of Endodontic Practice Today.2010,.
- Cheung GSP. Dental Tribune International. In Journal editor of Roots: the International Magazine of Endodontics.2010,.
- Cheung GSP. . In Journal editor of Hong Kong Dental Journal.2010,.
- Cheung GSP. Post-endodontic restorations. In Endodontology.2008,pp.300-309.
- Cheung GSP. Surgical Endodontics. In Endodontology.2008,pp.247-256.
- Cheung GSP. PhD Thesis: Low-cycle fatigue of nickel-titanium rotary root-canal instruments. In .2006,.
- Wei X & Cheung GSP. (Application of the operating microscope in clinical endodontics). In (Modern Root Canal Therapy; Chapter 18).2006,pp.179-215.
- Cheung GSP. Rationale for using NiTi instruments by hand. Chapter 4.. In Contemporary Endodontics.2004,pp.10-13.
- Cheung GSP. Guidelines for Accreditation and Training in Endodontics. In The College of Dental Surgeons of Hong Kong.1999,pp.26.
Principal Investigator :
- 2011-: Stem cells in human dental pulp with irreversible pulpitis and their potential for tissue regeneration [Small Project Funding] (HKD47,576)
- 2010-2012: Development of a novel root canal post system [Small Project Funding] (HKD79,910)
- 2008-2010: Retention and leakage pattern of dentine-bonded root canal posts [Small Project Funding] (HKD37,126)
- 2007-2009: Fracture of endodontic instruments [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD70,000)
- 2002-2005: A diagnostic model for C-configuration in mandibular molars [Small Project Funding] (HKD74,300)
- 1997-2002: Determination of success rate of pulp resinfying therapy carried out in the People's Republic of China [University Research Committee / Committee on Research and Conference Grants - General Award] (HKD50,000)
- 1995-1999: A confocal microscopic investigation on the cutting mechanism involved in root canal preparation [University Research Committee / Committee on Research and Conference Grants - General Award] (HKD65,000)
- 1992-1996: The effect of instrument design on the shaping efficiency of ultrasonically powered endodontic files [University Research Committee / Committee on Research and Conference Grants - General Award] (HKD32,700)
- 1990-1996: Evaluation of marginal seal of dentine bonded composite resin restorations [University Research Committee / Committee on Research and Conference Grants - General Award] (HKD83,000)
- 2013-: Engineering human dental pulp tissues using prevascularized microtissue spheroids constructed by dental pulp stem cells and gene-modified endothelial cells [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD1,128,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2013-: Bcl-2 and cMyc gene-transfected dental pulp stem cells outcompete bone marrow-derived cells in dental pulp regeneration [National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) - General Program] (HKD879,200) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2011-: Diagnostic and prognostic markers related to pathogenic bacteria in endodontic lesions of failed cases [Small Project Funding] (HKD57,320) (with Jeffrey W W Chang et al)
- 2011-2012: Evaluation of glass polyalkenoate cements when bonded to various tooth substrates [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD80,000) (with BURROW, M.F. et al)
- 2011-2012: Synergistic effects of endothelial progenitor cells and apical papilla stem cells on dental pulp regeneration [General Research Fund (GRF)] (HKD493,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2009-2011: Dentin-pulp complex and periodontal tissues regeneration in root canal perforation by the stem cells from the apical papilla and periodontal ligament. [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000) (with ZHANG Chengfei et al)
- 2009-2011: Efficacy of root canal irrigation for debris and tissue removal [Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research] (HKD120,000) (with Jeffrey W W Chang et al)
- 2000-: A study to investigate the attitude and effect of magnification on the clinical performance by dental undergraduates in the University of Hong Kong [Low Budget High Impact Programme] (HKD40,000) (with et al)
- 1995-1999: A longitudinal microbiological study on osseointegrated titanium implants in partially dentate patients from a Southern Chinese population [University Research Committee / Committee on Research and Conference Grants - General Award] (HKD155,000) (with et al)
- 1994-1997: A 3-year longitudinal clinical study of osseointegrated implants (Cresco Ti Concept) in the treatment of partially dentate patients. [Leung Kau Kui Research and Teaching Endowment Fund - Research Grants] (HKD59,000) (with et al)
Honours and Awards
- Best Oral Presentation 2012 Commonwealth Dental Association / Malaysian Dental Association Joint International Scientific Convention. 2012. Soo I, Chang JWW & Cheung GSP.
- Best Original Article Award 2011. The effect of cyclic loading on fiber-reinforced resin post retention: push-out bond strength (Hong Kong Dent J 2010, 7: 74-81 Hong Kong Dental Journal Editorial Board. 2012. Cheung GSP & Mahindre PP.
- Survival analysis of first-time non-surgical root canal treatment completed 10-20 years before in a dental teaching hospital META prize for the best poster, Joint APEC and Korean Academy of Endodontics scientific meeting. 2002. Cheung GSP.
- Honorary Life Member Indian Endodontic Society. 1998. Cheung GSP.
- Editorial Board (Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics) 2016
- Associate Editor (Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry) 2016
- Editorial Board (International Endodontic Journal) 2016
- Member of Editorial Board of The Journal of Korean Academy of Conservative Dentistry, September 16, 2011 (The Korean Academy of Conservative Dentistry) 2011
- (Journal editor of Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2010
- (Journal editor of International Endodontic Journal) 2010
- (Journal editor of Endodontic Practice Today) 2010
- Dental Tribune International (Journal editor of Roots: the International Magazine of Endodontics) 2010
- (International Endodontic Journal) 2008
- (Hong Kong Dental Journal) 2007
Additional Academic Appointments
- Visiting Associate Professor of Guanghua College of Stomatology at Sun Yat-sen University (2007-2009). 2008
- Visiting Associate Professor of Guanghua College of Stomatology at Sun Yat-sen University (2007-2009). 2007
- Honorary Visiting Associate Professor (since 2002). West China College of Medical Science, Chengdu, China 2003
- Guest Professor (since 2000). Stomatology College and Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China 2003