Taught Postgraduate Programmes (MDS, MSc, AdvDip)
The HKU Faculty of Dentistry offers three levels of postgraduate programmes: Master of Science, Master of Dental Surgery and Advanced Diplomas. All our courses continue to generate a high level of interest among dental practitioners both locally and overseas. Our team of well-qualified and dedicated staff with international backgrounds is committed to providing a solid foundation for your future career.
Taught Postgraduate Programmes
Master of Science
- Master of Science in Community Dentistry [MSc(CommunityDent)] (1 year full-time / 2 years part-time)
- Master of Science in Dental Materials Science [MScDMS] (1 year full-time)
- Master of Science in General Dentistry [MSc(GeneralDent)] (1 year full-time)
- Master of Science in Implant Dentistry [MSc(ImplantDent)] (2 years part-time)
Master of Dental Surgery
- Master of Dental Surgery in Endodontics [MDS(Endo)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Implant Dentistry [MDS(ImplantDent)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery [MDS(OralMaxFacSur)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics [MDS(Orthodontics&DentofacialOrthopaedics)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Paediatric Dentistry [MDS(PaediatrDent)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Periodontology [MDS(Perio)] (3 years full-time)
- Master of Dental Surgery in Prosthodontics [MDS(Prostho)] (3 years full-time)
- Advanced Diploma in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery [AdvDipOMS] (2 years full-time)
- Advanced Diploma in Orthodontics [AdvDipOrth] (2 years part-time)
The Master of Science course in General Dentistry offers further training and knowledge for dental practitioners who wish to acquire further education and training in general dentistry. The Master of Science course in Community Dentistry is part of the training to become a specialist in that field in Hong Kong. The Master of Science in Dental Materials Science is offered also to non-dentists. All MSc courses are 1-year full-time course, except the Master of Science in Implant Dentistry which is offered on part-time basis only, whereas the MSc course in Community Dentistry is offered also in the part-time mode.
Master of Dental Surgery courses are offered in seven clinical disciplines, and six of the courses form part of the training pathways to become a dental specialist in Hong Kong. All MDS courses last 3 years full-time.
Advanced Diploma courses are offered in two of the specialist disciplines and are part of the local specialist training in those fields. Advanced Diploma courses comprise advanced study and clinical practice relating both to the specific field of study and to the multidisciplinary setting. They are intended for practitioners who have already completed
higher education in a specific field. The Advanced Diploma in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is full-time (2 years), and Orthodontics is part-time (2 years).
After completing a course, not less than 30 months, candidates can sit for the Membership examination in that specialty, which is held by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh practically every year.
Professor C.K.Y. Yiu
Associate Dean (Taught Postgraduate Education)
General Enquiries for Taught Postgraduate Programmes:
Specific Enquiries for Taught Postgraduate Programmes:
Please contact the appropriate Programme Director shown in the relevant pages.
On-Line application is now available at http://www.aal.hku.hk/tpg/.