This taught programme is intended specifically for dentists who intend to pursue specialist endodontic training. The programme will enable students to acquire knowledge of the relevant clinical literature, to develop a scientific approach to problem solving, to learn to assess scientific papers, and to develop clinical endodontic skills to an advanced level. A research project and dissertation will be required. The programme will provide a foundation for successful clinical practice, or a stepping stone towards an academic career. Teaching is undertaken by full- and part-time teachers of high calibre. Clinical training is done in the Prince Philip Dental Hospital, in a setting fully equipped with surgical operating microscopes and the latest armamentarium for instrumentation, obturation, and periradicular surgery. A good working knowledge of periodontology, occlusion, implantology, and prosthodontics to enable sound treatment planning will be emphasized. The curriculum extends over a minimum of 36 months, full-time, and may include courses in other related disciplines.
At the end of the course, a graduate will be able:
- To assess a patient’s general and oral health, and formulate a comprehensive treatment plan, which might include components from other dental disciplines;
- To undertake the clinical procedures of Endodontics to a more advanced level than that expected of the undergraduate course, and to have a knowledge and understanding of the relevant dental materials used;
- To treat patients requiring emergency and remedial dental care related to failed endodontic procedures;
- To be able to integrate theoretical and practical knowledge in respect of the management of patients;
- To critically assess the scientific literature and manufacturers’ advertising claims;
- To perform certain elements of Restorative Dentistry;
- To be proficient in providing clinical treatment under the surgical operating microscope or other magnifying aids; and
- To competently perform surgical periradicular procedures when appropriate.
|Programme Director||General Enquiry||Closing Date for Application|
|Professor C.F. Zhang
Fax: 2559 9013
|Name: Miss Hazel Leung
Fax: 2517 0544
|March 31, 2017
- Regulation and Syllabus
- On-Line Application
- A BDS degree of this University or an equivalent qualification.
- A minimum of 1 year of work experience.
- Primary Fellowship preferred but not essential.
Mode of Attendance: FT (3 years)