The MDS curriculum in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery extends over 3 years of full-time study. It is designed to enable candidates to achieve an advanced level of knowledge and competence in oral and maxillofacial surgery by means of a prescribed course of study and a supervised research project.
The programme will enable the students to acquire familiarity with most pathological conditions affecting the mouth and jaws; an understanding of the principles of patient management and experience in in-patient care; basic skills in oral surgery and selected aspects of maxillofacial surgery; and knowledge of the relevant literature and ability to assess such literature critically.
The programme, where desired, forms the basis for further training to achieve accreditation as a specialist oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Hong Kong.
- Basic theoretical knowledge of oral and maxillofacial surgery in the widest sense, including dentoalveolar infection; diagnosis and patient assessment; endosseous implantology; in-patient care; medical problems; orthognathic surgery; pain control; pathology of soft and hard tissues; radiographic and imaging techniques; surgical principles, techniques, and complications; and wound healing.
- Clinical competence in dentoalveolar surgery and more advanced techniques where appropriate: dentoalveolar surgery, orthognathic surgery, endosseous implantology, and intraoral soft tissue surgery.
- Basic knowledge of intravenous sedation techniques and clinical competence in intravenous sedation for dentoalveolar surgery.
|Programme Director||General Enquiry||Closing Date for Applications|
|Name: Prof. N. Samman
Fax: (852) 2559 9014
|Name: Miss Hazel Leung
Fax: (852) 2517 0544
|This programme is not offered in 2017-2018
- Regulation and Syllabus
- On-Line Application (Closed)
Mode of Attendance: FT (3 years)
- A BDS degree of this University or an equivalent qualification.
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience would be preferable but not essential.