Applications are welcome from eligible candidates for admission to the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) programme at the Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong (HKU). Please note the following categories of applicants and the relevant application procedures:
(A) Joint University Programmes Admission System (JUPAS) Scheme
The scheme is for local secondary school students applying for admission on the strength of results obtained at the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination. Current secondary school students in local schools sitting for the HKDSE Examination in 2018 (referred to as “school applicants”) or “non-school applicants” but are applying for admission on the strength of HKDSE results should apply for admission to the HKU BDS programme through the JUPAS. Details can be found at the JUPAS website.
Additional BDS programme entrance requirements for JUPAS candidates:
Level 4 or above in English and Level 3 or above in Mathematics and Liberal Studies.
One elective subject at Level 3 or above from the following:
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Combined Science, or Integrated Science.
Candidates who are, at the time of application, already enrolled in a full-time or sandwich bachelor’s degree programme in JUPAS participating institutions other than HKU should apply through the International Admissions Scheme/Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme, regardless of whether you are applying on the strength of the HKDSE results.
(B) International Admissions Scheme (IAS) / Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme (NJ)
Applicants who are
- non-local candidates (these refer to those candidates who require a student visa to study in Hong Kong); or
- local candidates who DO NOT require a student visa to study in Hong Kong and who are applying for admission to HKU on the strength of qualifications other than HKDSE or mainland China’s National Joint College Entrance Examination (NJCEE/Gao Kao) (Note: local candidates at international schools or local schools in Hong Kong must have completed at least 6 years of secondary education by September 2018); or
- Associate Degree/Higher Diploma (i.e. sub-degree) graduates (or those who expect to obtain such a qualification by August 2018)
Information on University entrance requirements (UERs), application procedures, and the application form are accessible from the HKU website. Although the BDS programme does not set additional programme entrance requirements on top of UERs, interested candidates are advised to make reference to the subject requirements for JUPAS candidates. Preference would be given to candidates who study science subjects in secondary education or above, have good academic records, and have working knowledge of Cantonese.
There are no fixed quotas for non-JUPAS applicants. The number of students to be admitted is dependent on the quality of applicants each year from both the JUPAS and IAS/NJ schemes.
Main Round Application
The deadline for Main Round applications is 12:00 noon, November 16, 2017 (HKT). Offers for Main Round applications will be made from January 2018 onwards.
Late applications will be accepted after the Main Round application deadline and before 12:00 noon, July 15, 2018 (HKT).
For enquiries on the BDS programme, please e-mail to the Faculty of Dentistry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enquiries in relation to application procedures, documentation, fees, scholarships, and University entrance requirements should be directed to the HKU Admissions Office at email@example.com.
- The term “4-Year Curriculum” in the HKU and JUPAS websites corresponds to “6-Year Curriculum” at the HKU Faculty of Dentistry.
- The medium of instruction of the BDS programme is English.